New Discourse and Full Quotes Hack

I noticed that when you quote, especially full quote something, the tags look like this, in general:

[[quote=“A_Poster, post:some_post_number, topic:some_topic_number, full:true”]]
something apprently worth full quoting
[[/quote]]

(highlighting is mine.)

Note the new full tag. I am not sure, as I haven’t tested it, but if that were set to false by the person doing the quoting/replying to the quoted poster, or even removed entirely, it would probably disable whatever Discusrse has decided we needed to have done to us in our own best interests.

Have at it…

The Discourse team has already created a configuration flag for our own enjoyment, it’s currently being “reviewed” by other programmers.

However it wont fix historical posts.

Presumably there’s a log of system’s activity that could be used to execute a big ctrl+z its edits. I’m aware that would be no casual undertaking.

I’m not interested in doing that.

Understood…I was thinking of this on a “go-forward” basis, not retroactive. I.E. for those that felt they really really needed a full quote to make their point.

Looking through the system edited posts. If you want to know what it was quoting or replying to, just click on the link at the top-right and it will bring it up above the post.

The whole post. And not the actual bit they were replying to. This would be neat if it preserved the highlighted bit, but it instead seems to just go “here’s the wall of text they were replying to!”

1 Like

I’m hoping this fixes the noise from System…

1 Like

As I said here, system should no longer be updating anyones messages