New commercially Viable Technology that can transmit data securely between two devices

Need suggestions/reference on new commercially viable (preferably open source) tech that can handle secure transfer of data between two devices.(some examples like Low power BT, NFC etc)

Sneaker Net
add for 20 char

I’ve always thought a cable directly from one computer to another computer was pretty secure.

3 Likes

What is the context? Any connection can be made secure with the right software (e.g. SSH).

All comm devices must be placed in a Faraday cage…

Signal.

As an added bonus you get to use software designed by someone with a wicked cool name.

Matthew? :blankspace:

2 Likes

I assume you mean wirelessly because you mention Bluetooth and NFC. What kinds of devices? You could run adhoc wifi. Need more information. Is this for embedded devices? Wireless? Large scale networks? Internet?

Apologies, I should have been more explicit. My main requirement is the devices should interact with each other and send data in split seconds.
For example (very hypothetical) - A bullet train wants to read the transmitted data from a device on a pole beside the track or the other way, want to send data to a device on the pole. Which technology can send data so fast between fast Connection and Disconnection? What amount of data can it transmit? bytes? kb?

You might look here …

http://www.transcore.com/

1 Like

split seconds… data can be read and transmitted in the nanoseconds if one actually defines the requirements and understands the technical demands.

But using your example, try researching Optical Telecoms and real time operating systems. IEEE is going to be your friend in this aspect.

(via PM) requirement is to have a system which transmits and/or receives data/codes when two separate transponders pass each other in high speed (1 mph to 600 mph). This system should be secure, reprogrammable (online or offline), cheap (like RF tags), low power consumption. (Yes the best example could be toll tag system, but think of toll tag system + NFC).

So again, this is still sounding like something which one needs put effort into research. Draco and Myself have posted a few good ideas as so have others on the thread. We’ve all been there at one point or another, having a idea of something and never finding it already made.

But that’s where the soul of a maker comes from. Discovery of new things with one’s own hands and the process of bringing it into existence.

images

I’d love to hear more about your results and suggest that one creates a project thread on here to share the journey.

Be sure and double check the USB cable … https://hackaday.com/2017/11/12/inside-an-amateur-bugging-device/

1 Like

Yea, I mean I have to agree with others. You are keeping your idea, and thus specs, pretty close to the chest. Therefore it’s really hard to make a recommendation. There aren’t that many protocols.

Couldn’t agree more about the IEEE recommendation. It’s spot on. I do think you need to do more research, because that would have come up early on. Nearly all over the air communications are standardized by them. 802 is the designation you want. You might not be familiar with some of their little known specifications such as 802.14- cable internet 802.7, MoCA 802.7, 802.11- WiFi, 802.15 Bluetooth, 802.3 -Ethernet, 802.16e/ 802.16m- 3G / 4G cellular signal (though technically this was WiMAX and only sprint invested heavily in this, LTE is different),802.15- ZigBee (smart home/ Philips Hue, etc).

Since it seems like we are starting at ground 0, let’s look at what’s available. You can pick up some Lua based protoboards off eBay for about $10 each doing Bluetooth and WiFi and even zigbee.

RFID won’t work. It’s hard and probably out of your reach and not configurable. Skim the Wikipedia page if you like.

NFC doesn’t work in your very vague example due to range.

ZigBee, adHoc WiFi and BT are likely out but at the same time the most accessible. The negotiation time for two unmet devices (presumably hurtling towards one another at 600 mph? Is that right?) is just too long. On the order of seconds. Pair your phone to your car and count. Or connect your phone to WiFi. And those guys know what they’re doing. But the protoboards you can get and they have an online following. I have a bunch of these protoboards. They’re neat though I haven’t played with them yet. Most have WiFi/BT/and ZigBee (+/-) built in. ZigBee is very slow. But I think it will enventually be the interstitium communication layer of the mesh that’s slowly surrounding us due to its low power.

You may want to consider good old fashioned line of sight communications and RF communications. Eg optical and radio. And IR (like a tv remote) You can encrypt that as easily as anything else. The 16bit ARM cores have an onboard hardware encryption module, and you can use a paired key. Given what I’ve heard, this is the route I’d go at your stage. Less sexy, but also less technical and formalized and more hobby friendly. And cheap with lots of online resources. But that doesn’t sound as cool as “combo toll tag, nFC).

I’m curious as to what you are trying to make. Vehicle mounted missle system that needs to identify friendly targets via encoded signals? Self driving shopping cart? There was no mention of power requirements. So it’s big I’d guess. But if not, that is an incredibly critical design characteristic.

2 Likes

Going to need more details…
Cryptomodules are plentiful
AES is commonly used to send secure data over wireless networks (802.11, BLE, Etc.)
Someone more familiar than me as there are rules around type of crypto if you get off of established “Frequency’s”

Try a “leaky” cable embedded down the track and have the antenna on the bottom of the car. That has been done for other systems.

1 Like

My intention with these queries was to list down technologies that satisfies my requirements (may not be all of them). I accept that I have to do lot of research, which I had already planned to do and have been looking for a lab (that’s another story).

looking for a lab

Dallas Makerspace is a great place for running lab work. @Team_VCC, and SDC along with Classrooms and other committees has been working to build out a computer lab for member usage.

As for a list of technologies well do understand that the larger the scope of a question the larger spectrum of replies, including and up to none, one would get in any forum on or offline.

But, hopefully there’s a candle to light one’s path in the previous posts.

Yes, i will use DMS facilities for the lab. My lab design will have a wheel rotating at the speeds equal about 600 mph with a transponder attached to its circumference and passing by another transponder.attached to a stationary pole. This should be a simple setup but have to work on stability of wheel rotating at such high speeds.

I’d suggest going with a brushless dc motor to control the speed via a variac transformer and welding together a rig that holds the wheel upright with a bar for the stationary pole running across the wheel and include some safety gear for that sudden unplanned stop.