Need yarn advice (please)

I have stumbled across knitting patterns for the most adorable, darling knitted rabbits (and bears and cats and foxes …) at Little Cotton Rabbits. :heart_eyes:

For the animals that she sells, she describes the yarn she has used but clearly these luxurious fibers are not suitable for a child’s toy. She also makes some suggestions for worsted weight yarns to use for the animals but (since I don’t know anything about truly nice yarn) I don’t recognize any of these and wouldn’t know where to buy them anyway.

I would dearly like to make this for my tiny niece, but I need some advice on yarn - specifically something “worsted weight”. [EDIT: clarification … this is actually a human person :grinning:]

1 Like

I don’t know yarn, I can not knit, but those rabbits are adorable. I want one, and a monkey too!! Maybe someone that spins can help.

1 Like

I’m almost afraid to ask…

2 Likes

Hi!
I have been searching for yarn also. So far there are two recommendations for small children.
if you want something that is soft and can be washed use an acrylic yarn. The other one is a wool blend. The wool blend will shrink and may be scratchy. Most people recommend any of the yarns you can by at Walmart. Just choose a soft yarn.

I am not being very clear so if you have questions feel free to contact me.
P.S. I love your miniatures.

2 Likes

“Worsted weight” is gonna be what you’d think of as using for an afghan. Probably the most common size.

The majority of what is in the blue fiber arts “Member Use” tub is worsted weight. That stuff is free if you wanna test-drive a project idea. Think of it as similar to “take a penny, leave a penny”. Hooks and needles are in the cabinet.

***If you look at the yarn on the weaving project currently on Lulu (the table loom on top of the cabinet), that’s worsted weight.

Come to a fiberfrolic if you need technical help. We will happily assist -er- enable -er- assimilate you.

For kids, acrylic is good because it can be washed more aggressively (tossed in washer vs hand-washing). Also if it’s a wool described as “super-wash” it’d work (it’s been altered so it won’t felt if washed in heat/agitation like normal wool would). They’re reasonably soft. Cotton or bamboo is good too (not stretchy though, so mindful of your project/purpose).

Fwiw, any fiber is fine used on kids/adults as long as there aren’t allergies and it’s soft enough. The main limitations are suitability for the intended use. In the case of kids, two factors: washability and sensitive skin.

Washability has more to do with the child’s minion (parent) wishes as far as washing. Most will prefer being able to toss in the washing machine, therefore a non-felting fiber is better (acrylic, plant-based like cotton or bamboo, silk, or super-wash wool vs an animal fiber like wool, alpaca/camelids, cashmere/down, etc).

If it’s a gift to a person that won’t want to hand-wash, I make it in acrylic. There’s very nice soft ones these day. Just pet it and test (some can be scratchy, but trend is very soft). That being said, I knitted a tiny awesome hat from alpaca/silk for one of our preemie foster-babies that was very very soft and warm and I was fine hand-washing. I also had a very warm little alpaca blanket I used in their carrier. Hand-washing is simple, but I dont give it as a gift unless I KNOW the recipient is cool with it.

Sensitivity (other than actual allergies) has to do with the prickle-factor, which is actually mostly the micron-count of the fiber. So, much like there are many breeds of dogs, some soft and silky, some coarse, sheep breeds (and other animals) are the same. That’s why the coarse breed that would make a excellent rug or hard-wearing bag is vastly different than a fine wool that is next to-skin-soft. Different people have different tolerances. I’ve found below 25 micron (most “fine wool” breeds, i.e. merino or Rambouillet etc) is fine on most. Low 20s or high-teens for babies. For point of reference, better cashmere (not the cheap crap) or yak down or Icelandic thel (the undercoat) is appr 12-15 micron. The micron info is available via various websites if you get into fiberarts. (Come on in, the water’s fine…muahaha…) :stuck_out_tongue:

Incidentally, sometimes people will feel like they’re allergic to wool but it’s actually another factor. There are true allergies, but sometimes it’s an interaction with a prickly wool (not all equal but that can be assumption). BUT, another thing is that commercial wool is treated by chemicals like harsher soap to clean it and chemicals to dissolve hay and vegetable matter. Hand-processed wool like a hand-spinner working from a shorn fleece (my preferred and usual start for my spinning) is treated much more gently. Soap is milder, and the vegetable matter is removed manually via hands and tools vs chemicals. The point being, before deciding for sure on a wool allergy, it might be worth trying a more gently processed fine wool. The allergy may still be there, but if it wasn’t, it greatly expands options. This stuff is in the hand-washing needed category.

And lastly, look at the label for the pic below. They’ll have the weight on the lable. For further edification and more info than you really wanted to know, link below has the full yarn weight chart.

IMG_0044

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/yarn-weight-system

3 Likes

Oh just went and looked at the project. That’s adorable.

Ummmm, yeah, that “Kidsilk Haze” yarn they used is is also known as Kidsilk Crack in the fiber community. Super soft, very addictive. Kind of expensive, but you need your next fix… :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, that sucker would need hand washing. Switch to acrylic if it’s a gift and unknown if recipient would be willing to hand wash. Most busy parents prefer to be able to toss in washer if it gets dirty.

Soooo, when I’m thinking of substituting yarn (i.e. my hand spun instead of a commercial yarn), I match factors like size and grist (not only physical size but density like is it soft and lofty or denser), texture (fuzzy, smooth,etc), other properties like number of ply, drape, elasticity, warmth, etc. Then I design my handspun with those properties, then sample until it does what I want.

Even if substituting one commercial yarn for another, it’s helpful if possible to know the starting yarn (find in a store or ask the fiber hive-mind community)

So the point is (going with hive-mind option) you have the weight (worsted) and most fiber folks will tell you that Kidsilk Crack -er- Craze is scrumptious soft, lofty, and has a fuzzy texture.

So to substitute, look for a worsted weight acrylic that is very soft and has a slight bit of a fuzz/halo to it (although the pattern would be fine with most soft acrylics).

5 Likes

Jeannie, you are awesome! Thanks so much for the very thoughtful reply. This is exactly what I need.

It sounds like I should be able to find something suitable so I guess I will go ahead and buy the pattern(s). Now, of course, I’m faced with having to choose which of those adorable little animals to choose …

3 Likes

That’s easy (which pattern)…

ALL THE CRAYONS IN THE BOX!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha. Yeah. Tough decision. All are too cute for words.

And you know if you have any questions in making it, you have a fiber hive-mind on tap on Tuesday nights. Or just come hang at a fiberfrolic.

Come on in, the water’s fine.
Muhahaha… :innocent:

1 Like

I was looking at descriptions again because in my mind I was thinking “huh, I thought kidcrack (kidsilk haze) was laceweight and had no idea it came heavy”

So full disclosure, my brain is in renfair-mode and I read that too fast. Most of what I replied stands, but to clarify…

What it actually says on the first cutie is the kidcrack is carried along with another thicker thing. So that’s two strands together. Basically it’s laceweight silk/kid mohair for softness/sheen/fuzz with a larger stronger base wool. Combines properties and colors.

So you can mimic this effect with either similar acrylics combined, or find a single yarn with similar properties.

And yeah, she’s basically designed these as heirloom quality shelf-dolls. But that can be adapted to an actual kid’s lovie-doll with changing the yarn.

Another few comments on substitutions…

The pattern may have a thing in the start where yarn info is about recommended substitutions.

The good news is that unless you’re trying to match exact sizes of finished item, gauge is less important than consistency between all the colors. Meaning, you’re not trying to make a people-sweater that ends up a specific size (more complicated substitution), but more approximation, like say, a scarf that ends up 7" wide vs 6" wide because you swapped a yarn that was close but not exact. But it doesn’t matter much because it doesn’t have to fit. So what if the doll is slightly larger/smaller? So that’s easy.

What your priority then is finding something more with your important properties…texture, washability first. And a more distant care, that it’s roughly vaguely similar size as that combined yarn if you want a roughly similar size doll, but that depends on if you care or not.

So to that end, find a candidate yarn at the store and interview it (get one skein and test-drive a swatch, see if you like it).

The other priority you’re gonna wanna look for with the yarn is a brand that has a lot of colors in the range you’d want for your project sitting there since there’s a lot of colors in those dolls. No bueno finding the right texture yarn if it only comes in five colors.

***Speaking of yarn, open the fiber cabinet and the bottom center box labeled for Active Weaving class project…open that up and see if you like the feel of that. I got that stuff for the current project from Hobby Lobby. I like it because it’s very soft, pleasant texture, and comes in a HUGE assortment of colors that have nice subtleties within each color range. It’s easy to find colors that play nice with each other. Buy a skein from the store if you wanna test-drive (don’t use stuff in box since active class).

Pro-tip, Hobby Lobby, the yarn brands tend to run on sale-pattern cycles of six-weeks or so with two-weeks on sale. So if no hurry, get your yarn figured out and wait for a sale if needing lots of skeins to get your color variety. Joanns and Michaels are the other bigbox store options, but Hobby Lobby has best selection if you want to shop there.

One possible hiccup (not insurmountable) is it looks like there are different yarns for different parts (body of doll from kidcrack combo, clothes are cotton on first dollbaby, others vary). What this can mean on your project is get the body made, but might have to do a different substitution for clothing.

It could be a straight swap (use worsted for all), but need to swatch. Get doll made then play with clothing yarn next. I like the contrast of cotton clothing on softer doll, plus the cotton will show off color work differently than worsted might. Some dolls have sweaters out of soft similar to bodies.

I couldn’t find specifics without a pattern, but it’s possible some clothing is a finer yarn than worsted. It might vary by pattern. But that being said, there’s lots and lots of cotton/acrylic in sport-weight or sock-weight (next size down from worsted). Just be prepared to swatch the clothing before blazing on…

In the end, the takeaway is, if you wanna make it from wash/kidlove friendly yarn, it’s doable and the yarn is easily available out there. A little fiddling but nothing that’ll make you crazy.

Also, a huge tool in your endeavor is Ravelry. That designer is on there and if you click on the project, there are the usual tabs with hundreds of personal projects, comments on the yarn substitutions, pics of folks’ finished objects (good ideas for colors you’re considering). Plus if you download the digital through them, it looks like it’s on the site (not outside) which makes it waaaay convenient to keep track of your digital pattern in your Ravelry library.

The general pattern info says “worsted” so I think you can guilt-free plunge headfirst and figure out the other stuff as it comes up. The reviews and comments were complimentary of the pattern usability and clarity.

Here’s link to Ravelry for that designer. Can’t recommend enough this resource for this project if you haven’t explored it.

https://www.ravelry.com/designers/julie-williams-2

One last comment on choosing which pattern. In addition to what initially appeals (I think the strongest reason since it’ll keep you excited working on its adorableness, aka squee factor) :slight_smile: is if there’s a technique you do/don’t want to do. The bodies appear to be knit flat in various parts as seamed, then the clothes, some are in the round and have various color work techniques. Some have an alternative option. Like first option is Fair Isle, but if you hate stranded-knitting, it had a different pattern technique of colorwork for the doll’s sweater.

3 Likes

Jeannie - again, thanks for the very insightful response. I had already glanced at her patterns in Ravelry and saw her gauge recommendations, etc.

Good advice about yarn that comes in enough colors - and you’re spot on about size. So if the rabbit is 11.5" instead of 11" … who cares?!

It looks like it doesn’t require much yarn of each color but I will definitely audition it. I read that she knits flat (ugh). She claims that most of the work is in seaming, so I will likely see if I can knit at least the arms and legs and maybe the body “in the round”. Since most of the pieces are small I figure that if I have to knit a couple extra it won’t be a big deal.

My biggest concern, oddly enough, is the ears. I figure the critter will get carried around by the ears and I don’t know if/ how I could reinforce them.

I haven’t knitted in (many, many) years but I think I have nearly every (non-miniature) size knitting needle and many also in double-ended. I have had the itch to knit lately and I am looking forward to this.

3 Likes

Re ears (aka handles)

I think if acrylic, they would be just fine as the thing to grab and drag around by. The ears themselves wouldn’t be the failure point as long as you really really secure the yarn ends.

However, I’d make sure the attachment of the ears to the head is rock solid reinforced.

Hm. And actually the head itself could distort depending on stretchiness or weight of being drug by ears. I might be caught experimenting with reinforcing with a non-stretchy something lining inside the head perhaps to minimize distortion at the ear attachment point, especially if the doll has much weight…or subject to centrifugal force. Just sayin :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Or possibly subjected to two brothers …
:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

So … I bought three patterns. Downloaded them, read the instructions and guess what?? They use British needle sizes and there are no equivalent US sizes.

Sheesh.

1 Like

Interesting. I bet there’s really close sizes and a chart somewhere. Really you’re just matching mm size anyway. Fortunately you’re not having to be exact for fitted object gauge.

Other resources…I bet that designer has a group on Ravelry or there’s a group dedicated to dolls and you can query the hive-mind if you don’t find an answer by searching. I’d guess this is a REALLY common thing that comes up with those patterns.

There’s always quirks to various international patterns that one has to adapt (ie crochet stitch names are same but British patterns they are one step different on the stitch, like single/double crochet).

So which patterns did you choose?

2 Likes

It looks like if I can find some size 1.5 and 2.5 needles I should be OK. The group on Ravelry just suggested buying overseas needles. Some help that was …

To your point, I don’t really care if the rabbit is a half inch taller or shorter than the pattern. I’m more concerned about the places where it switches needle sizes within the pattern. If I can’t maintain the gauge size differential that the designer planned, then it’s not going to be shaped correctly. Yep - she switches needle sizes in the middle of knitting the body.

I bought boy and girl bunnies, and the seasonal dresses supplement. Apparently the nephews have to be included too …

After reading (skimming) the pattern, I realize how rusty my knitting is. It’s going to be a long uphill learning curve … but I will (mostly) enjoy it.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Re switching needles midstream
oy…might be worth swatching a bit to test drive

Oooor delicious flimsy excuse to buy more tools. Just sayin. :stuck_out_tongue:

Re rusty knitting skills
Swing by a Tuesday night fiberfrolic and we’ll happily enable/fix whatever ails ya. We also occasionally throw-down on thursdays. Spread the love, ya know.

2 Likes