Need to return Delta Table Saw, sander and dust collector

I do not believe the Delta collector on the MultiCam is a GN loan.

Greg, you can pick up your equipment whenever you would like to. If I am there, I would be happy to help load it up. Thanks so much for your very generous long term loan to the space!

6 Likes

I mailed Greg on the [email protected] with your reply @Mrksls2 and a link to this thread.

The dust collector is likely the box hanging from the ceiling, used to remove dust from air in the room.

I have one just like it in my garage I’m not using anymore that I’d lend to the space… but… it is really designed for a garage and a few hours of dust collection, not to run full time in a large heavily used shop like ours.

An industrial sized ‘air cleaner’ would be great though.

I hope we can buy/replace the delta table saw. Love that saw.

3 Likes

I love that Delta as well.

The 2 units on the ceiling are Jets.

4 Likes

I guess we can add these to the what could the new woodshop use thread.

2 Likes

Fyi, UNT has a Delta table saw posted on their Tuesday Surplus Sale pages; at the bottom of page two. Dunno if its comparable to the unit you are sadly bidding farewell to or if it even works, but given the price tag and the lack of a “parts only” notation, it probably does.
https://propertymanagement.unt.edu/surplus/public-sale?page=1

1 Like

That appears to be a radial arm saw.

4 Likes

I have been eyeing this one on CL. I used to have the Incra on my PM66. Awesome fence system.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/d/steel-city-3-hp-cabinet-saw/6720137540.html

2 Likes

Yep. Another fan of the Delta. It’s similar to what I learned on years ago in my Dad’s shop, for one. Also, no risk of blowing the safety for whatever reason and spending unexpectedly to replace the tube. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Radial arm saw would be awesome too!!!

1 Like

I actually feel the opposite. I’d rather use the Delta so I don’t have to worry about firing the Sawstop.

12 Likes

Makes us need to have a Moisture Meter before we cut wood on the SawStop now. Maybe that is something we could also see added to the Woodshop, and store it on or near the Sawstop itself.

When I had a woodshop in my garage, I used this more than anything else. then the bandsaw and then the tablesaw.

This is a great reason to have one. But as others reply, they (me included) prefer using a straight up no-fuss system. I am more worried about triggering the sawstop than being safe on the my cuts.

4 Likes

The dust collector I leant is a delta 50-760 (stand up unit). I assume it was still being used for the CNC router, unless it was replaced by something else.

1 Like

I don’t know that it ever was used for the MultiCam, that’s probably an @AlexRhodes or @Kentamanos question. When I got here it was attached to the Oneida and we later moved it over to the donated collector I linked above.

I can confim that the dust collector on the mutlicam is a Delta 50-760.

1 Like

Like @TBJK, I’m also not a fan of the saw stop. In our use of the system, we had multiple instances of the saw stop firing due to malfunction, when we were effectively doing everything correctly. Secondly, the saw stop has a very common false positive failure state of damp wood or conductive material in or on wood being cut on the saw.

These common false positive scenario added with the malfunctions have lead to my decision to also not use the Saw Stop for my projects. I don’t want to take on the financial burden of repairing saw blades and replacing the safety cartridge do to malfunction or common false positive firing of the safety system. While I do value the possibility of the saw stop saving members from possible injury due to negligent hand placement while cutting. I find the implementation very lacking and actually becoming more of a problem in our environment and use at DMS.

4 Likes

I would like to add my voice to those not in favor of a second SawStop. I cut quite a bit of Baltic birch that has been cut first with a laser. It is my understanding that the laser char can trigger the brake under the right (wrong?) circumstances. Also, there is a need for a place to cut higher moisture content wood. If something is a bit too green for the SawStop, you still need a tool that can be used. That said, I do think the SawStop is a good item for the space and should be the saw of choice for inexperienced woodworkers.

3 Likes