Need help with project using the HAAS mill

I am looking for someone that is certified to use the HAAS mill to help me cut out 2 pieces of aluminum with logo embossed on. I would really appreciate help with this.

No one can run aluminum (or any other metal) on our CNC router, it isn’t allowed.

Sorry, meant to request help on the HAAS mill.

You might want to also consider the EMCO mill… https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/what-about-the-emco-pc-mill/10801

The size I am looking to cut is around 7 inch square, so apparently the EMCO mill would be too small to use for that?

You could 3D print it as a mold, then cast it in aluminum.

If it’s relatively thin, Shapeoko would be an option.

The aluminum sheet will be between half to three quarter inch thick.

Seems like a perfect fit for the HAAS at 7 sq.in. x 5/8 in thick.

Do you have an Inventor model of the part you’d like to cut?

(paging @jhrbacek – could you assist this maker?)

I don’t have an inventor model yet, do I create the model in CAD?

I can help. I will have to see a drawing before I can suggest a method of manufacture. Any file format is fine for now.

Yes. You can log into the Jump server and open Autodesk Inventor to make the model. I’d start out by making a square of appropriate dimensions, extruding it to your material’s thickness in the Z axis. Then, using your design in 2-d form, extrude and subtract that from the base stock to create your logo.

There’s a lot of material on YouTube to get you started:

1 Like

This is a rough idea of the logo and layout, the black area would be raised about 2mm higher than the white area.

Thank you, that is very helpful information.

Looks doable, but remember that you’ll be limited by the radius of the cutting tool. In other words, square inside corners won’t be perfectly square. Outside edges can be square, of course. Also, you’ll want to design it so that it doesn’t need a tiny little mill to do everything, or it will take forever to mill.

Have you taken the HAAS class? If not, I highly recommend it. Bryan has done a great job at putting together a design which teaches you the fundamentals. You’ll still need to have a supervisor help you cut the design, since you won’t be rated to run it by yourself (to answer your next question, no, I’m not rated either).

Unless we finally try the VCarve Haas post processor :wink: The corners would be sharp and the sides of the “reliefs” would be angled inwards.

From the photo you uploaded, I did a trace bitmap (I’m sure you have a better source or it could be redrawn properly):

(To be clear, I’d definitely want @bgangwere present if I tried to do this, but I think it’d be a worthwhile proof of concept project if he agreed etc.)

1 Like

I’m so gonna be there to watch it kersplode a few end mills. :smiley:

1 Like

I do have a digital image of the design

I would DEFINITELY use an end mill as a “clearance tool” in VCarve (basically a “roughing pass” in machining terms) so that it would finish before the heat death of the sun, but other than that it’s all engraving bits kersploding :boom: :wink:

1 Like