MP3 Jukebox build

Almost totally finished.

Still need to track down a vibration when the bass is cranked and the monitor needs recapping, but I’m out of time with business travel starting and missing the Open House so it’ll be there as it sits.

Music on it:

• They Might Be Giants: Flood
  • Fat Boys: All Meat No Filler, The Best of Fat Boys
  • Boston: Boston
  • Billy Joel: The COmplete Hits COllection 1973-1977, Disc 1 - 4
  • Styx: Greatest Hits

Push the power button next to the red shutdown button on top of the cabinet to power it up. The PC will power up automatically, but if you power cycle it too quickly you’ll have to turn it back off, count to 20, then power it up and the PC will come up.

It’s touchscreen and boots to Windows XP. Double-tap the DW Jukebox icon to start it. Touch and hold momentarily to change pages of music and to select a song. You can queue up a long string of songs that will play one after the other and when a song starts you hear the sounds of a needle dropping on the record for effect.

Press the red button on top and the PC will shut down. Once that’s done press the power button on the top of the cabinet, next to that red button, to turn it off.

It started out life as a gambling game and still has the quarter mech, but quarters just cycle through to the coin return now. The marquee was custom ordered from Game On Graphix and I had to mount it to a custom cut piece of polycarbonate.

The old PC was upgraded and two of the USB ports rerouted to the front of the cabinet. The original hard drive was replaced with a PATA to SATA bridge and a 64GB SSD

The original game was VGA resolution and had a touchscreen controller in it. I wired up the controller to the computer and installed the 3M touchscreen drivers.

A PC speaker system was installed and the controls mounted on the back side of the ticket dispenser door on the front of the cabinet. A custom 1/8" stereo plug to screw terminals PCB adapter was built and used to wire the existing speakers to the amplifier output jack on the sub. The sub was then mounted to the side of the cabinet.

11 Likes

10/10.

Queue up 27 plays of Tom Jones “What’s New Pussycat,” but with one “It’s not unusual” in the middle. That is when the night will go from good to great, according to John Mulaney.

3 Likes

Closest thing I have to that on the jukebox is Mr. Roboto by Styx.

We will figure out where best to set the jukebox up. Vector is getting a major shuffle and cleaning over the next night or two to prepare for open house.

1 Like

My favorite variant on that used to be $5-$10 worth of various Waffle House jingles (sometimes just before paying out and leaving). Btw, I was not the perpetrator but I was there.

Somewhere I have a stack of the Waffle House records. I know Bobby and Marty O’Connor who ran O’Connor Vending that ran the jukeboxes in many of the Waffle House locations in this part of the country. They also were one of the largest Williams arcade and pinball distributors during the boom days of arcades in the 70’s and 80’s. They had a warehouse only about 200 feet down from the Ladybird location that I got to explore and pick up some good deals along with the records when they were moving out and downsizing. Fun fact, the two grey pinball dollies that I have on loan to Vector were used by O’Connor for several decades and I bought them when they sold the remaining assets of the business when they retired. They probably date from the early 70’s but are still built like a tank. Just need to retrofit a new pneumatic shock to replace the long missing oil filled piston that was prone to leaking.

2 Likes