Motor Sports Meeting: Rent a Skid Pad!

The Motor Sports Committee is considering renting the skid pad at Mineral Wells Airport, for a day of testing and maybe a casual Autocross. The idea is that we rent it, and anyone who wants to test their car on the skid pad can try it. If we can set up an Autocross, we can run against the clock.

We can also use this to set up the suspension on the LeMons car (Nissan 240SX) for the 24 hour race in November.

The cost for the day (August 4, maybe) and insurance is not that high, so when split up among participants, the individual expense would be minimal.

No, this is not “drifting”. Google “skid pad” and “Autocross”.

If you are interested, have ideas, or want to help, please come to the meeting on Thursday at 7:30. See the Events Ca lander for details.

6 Likes

How much is it? :blankspace:

We will have more information at the meeting Thursday.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested and then some.

2 Likes

So the meeting is tonight, correct???

Yes, meeting tonight.

Thanks again for all that were able to attend, we had 8 members this evening and talked for over a hour. Great discussions and I believe we are going to aim for August 4th for the skid pad rental. Hope to see more interested people at the next meeting. Thanks again for all involved with the automotive/motorsports at The Space.

1 Like

We were quoted at $300/per day for the track rental, plus additional cost for insurance. Depending on turnout we were aiming for between $50-$100 per car/person to drive.

3 Likes

Next step is to get the quote for event insurance.

I’ve sent Chuck a text

1 Like

I would definitely be interested in making this happen.

I go up to Mineral Wells for AutoX occasionally and think it would be even better getting DMS out there.
Unfortunately I missed the meeting but I will be keeping my ear to the ground on Talk to make sure I am involved!

I am the guy always on the lift with my Subaru and I would love to get everything dialed in on the skid pad as well as give my new differentials a good test to ensure they dont bind.

2 Likes

Bumped into @dallasmagna and @JayJohnson600 earlier and for this DMS members only activity to proceed a firm commitment is needed as to how many people are interested it participating.
Target date is August 4, 2018, if not another date sometime in September(Saturdays only subject to venue availability) or later in the year.
The key issue is that there needs to be many as possible(within reason) participants to make costs per individual as affordable as possible.
Post a response below if you are going to participate.

August 4th is the currently scheduled metal shop meeting, otherwise I would be down for that date. We need to have our formal election still since the last one did not have enough notice.

-Jim

I have never done this before it I watch some skid pad and auto cross videos on YouTube and I think it would be pretty fun. I have a Mustang GT would would I need to be able to participate? I’m guessing a helmet anything else?

1 Like

Yup. Have you done any similar type of driving yet?

@hon1nbo, It was mentioned that venue availability still needs to be confirmed for August 4, as it it hadn’t been yet as of last week.
At this point, the Motorsports committee wants to know how many would be sure to attend(whatever the final date is). There are other cost items that will determine what final costs per person is and MS is trying to make it as affordable as possible.

I am in for sure depending on the date.

1 Like

i am interested in getting my car o. the skid pad, Aug 4.

Jay Johnson

1 Like

Including Chuck, i think we have 5/6(?) participants for Aug4.
Yes?

@Ferman I am definitely in for the 4th! 100%, 1,000%, 1,000,000%!!!

Cool!
That makes 6/7(?) participants.
Let’s wait for confirmation from @dallasmagna or @JayJohnson600 for the green light.

1 Like

Any updates on this? If it isnt happening I will probably join the Autox event on the 5th