More induction forges?

If we expand what about more induction forges soe we can work insde more?

Suggestion for a friend, Kelly Kring who teaches blacksmithin at Brookhave

And it looks like we might be able to build them in house to save money

1 Like

Can someone answer his question These are from Kelly Kring He can send us folks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/351174285396016/?fref=nf

Who’s teaching the classes now?
How much are the classes?
How many students are the max for each class?
What length of class time are each of the classes?
What are the goals for the DMS blacksmithing?
Are y’all staying outside or are there plans to move back inside?
Do y’all plan to get more induction forges?
Did y’all know that the Gunter coal source has retired? Texas Farrier Supply is the only “local” coal and coke source in Kennendale, Tx. They are also a good tool source for tongs, hammers, and other tools.

Who’s teaching the classes now?

---Myself, and a few other members of the blacksmithing committee teach induction forge. @HankCowdog has been 
   teaching open forges but is taking a hiatus- we're working on how to keep the open forges going in his absence. 
   Currently the induction forge classes (at least mine) are limited to members, 

How much are the classes?

---Free (again, at least mine are).

How many students are the max for each class?

---I limit mine to 7.

What length of class time are each of the classes?

---About an hour and a half for the induction forge and KGM grinder.

What are the goals for the DMS blacksmithing?

----To provide the means and methods for people to make stuff out of metal by heating it up and hitting it with other 
   stuff.

Are y’all staying outside or are there plans to move back inside?

----Dunno how to answer this one really. Currently everything we do is inside except for open forge days that have 
   been held about every-other Sunday recently thanks to @HankCowdog.

Do y’all plan to get more induction forges?

----Not currently

Did y’all know that the Gunter coal source has retired? Texas Farrier Supply is the only “local” coal and coke source in Kennendale, Tx. They are also a good tool source for tongs, hammers, and other tools.

----Yep. I can't speak for the others, but I knew that. We only ever use coal on open forge days, and not even on all of those.
2 Likes

For the Intro to Blacksmithing class we ask for a $10 donation to cover the cost of materials and fuel. We usually (mostly) break even on the classes.

For example, in the last class, I spent $47 on materials ($40 for sheet steel and $7 on round stock) and another $24 after the class refilling the gas for the forges. We will have to replace (or recertify) two of the propane tanks, as they are now past their expiration date and could not be refilled so the total gas used over the last two classes was actually higher.

We had ten people sign up for the class, eight attendees showed up, and two others came to use the large forge to quench some knives they’d made.

I had $71 in expenses and took in $65 in donations.

2 Likes

Good point, thanks for clarifying- I should have specified the intro to induction forge classes.

1 Like