Missing Wood from the woodshop

I am new to Makerspace within the last couple months. I was not able to find a storage space so I have been leaving my 3 tree trunks on the bottom shelf in the woodshop. I wrapped them in blue tape with my name and phone number written on it. They are dark walnut trunks and I was in the process of turning them on the wood lathe. If someone took these by accident can they please return it and let me know 870-275-0135. Thank you very much!

1 - Welcome to the 'Space and to the DMS Woodshop.

2 - When was last date/time you know the wood in question was where you left it?

3 - You are aware that there is no personal storage allowed in committee areas, e.g. the Woodshop, without getting approval from tat committees chairperson or delegate?

4 - In particular, those shelves are essentially a 'freebie" shelf, as in people bring wood in and leave it there for others to take/use all the time - that’s it’s purpose.

2 Likes

I think it’s time we put up large signs on those shelves that clearly state they are freebie shelves and even wood that common sense says is not up for grabs will be taken.

2 Likes

There had been signs up at some point, but there is no personal storage in the woodshop. @Team_Logistics may be able to explain the rules better for storage in general but unless it’s a committee project for woodshop everything is free for all on the green shelves

That’s actually a Woodshop policy. But – signage would help.

Good idea. Will you tackle that?
Edited: that sounded pretty sarcastic and not my intention.

1 Like

How does something fairly durable and bright orange grab ya?

(The size is limited to 229mm {9in} by 508mm {20in}.)

3 Likes

Signs are fine, and might help avoid certain situations, but to beat a dead horse…

beating-a-dead-horse

…there is no personal or project storage allowed in committee areas without prior approval from chair/vice-chair.

This is really a Woodshop Basics item…let’s make sure people understand that if they leave stuff sitting around the woodshop without appropriate permission or dispensation, especially on the freebie wood shelf, it is subject to immediate removal or, in case of freebie shelf, “liberation”.

4 Likes

We assume everyone knows that, but they don’t. And even with appropriate permission, people will take anything on that shelf, with or without signage on the piece advising not to take it.
The wood that our woodshop chair cut for a new router table that was labelled as such was taken.
I think it would be good to notify new people and old people alike, that anything on that shelf will be taken, so there is no misunderstanding going forward.

1 Like

Yep…1) rule; 2) promulgation/education; 3) reminders/signage; 4) ENFORCEMENT

We are really really really good at #3.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I was not made aware that nothing should be placed on the shelves during my woodshop basics class, but I know now. M. Blatz, the wood was last seen about a month ago.

OK…sorry your wood was “liberated”. I have some walnut logs/chunks, of which I am willing to part with a piece, if you had a specific interest or need for that type of wood:

That’s a bit too far back to make it worthwhile to review video and check what happened to it.

Parenthetically, you and I have different ideas of what “in the process of” means.

5 Likes