Metal Shop A/C (+ Woodshop)

Is there a solution for this? I really hate to tell members that I’m not going to be teaching because that part of the building isn’t habitable for 5 months of the year.

I dont have any ideas unless metal shop members want to replace wood shops filters every week

2 Likes

Perhaps a compromise can be reached and wood and metal shop can alternate changing the wood shop filters, such that it happens on a weekly basis.

1 Like

Woodshop is currently in charge of changing it once a month, to supplement our existing filter changer. The coils are frozen up from one missed change from woodshop. Whatever works just needs to be done on a schedule.

There are 0 intakes to RTU 9 (woodshop - metal shop) in the metal shop. Metal dust does not get in the unit. It is all wood dust.

Yay! It’s not us. You heard it here first.

1 Like

1 Like

BTW I’ll go change them today since the vendor wouldn’t do it (since it was trapped in ice!). That should provide a week of ok cooling, someone will need to go up next week though if you want it to continue.

@Team_Woodshop can you please let us know the schedule you have to replace the filters? If Metal shop is willing to help I would jump on that.

They looked to have been replaced already a couple of days ago? Not sure.

Went up and unclogged a couple of drains.

@Team_Science let me know if you want a sample of this one day

2 Likes

Don’t poke it…it may poke back.

1 Like

I’m hesitant to move the returns. This will force the dust out of wood shop to build up on surfaces in other rooms and plug up heatsinks and cooling fans in computers like laser, which suffered just from leaving the wood shop doors open on hot days.

I have suggested this in the past. In my opinion it should be done. There will need to be a chase from one room to the next. It would need to be sealed as well to not gather dust between walls.

Another question is where will these committees be located in the fall? Does it make sense to do more than up the schedule of filter changes until then?

Summer … yes it makes sense IF it is something that doesn’t cost a lot and can be done in a weekend

We used to do it on the 1st and 15th of every month. Now we only do it on the 15th. I bought a box of filter a few weeks ago. They should be by the woodshop annex if needed.

Id have to look at how long the runs are & the diameter which I think they are 2 24” returns. Its been a while since I have priced duct work.

I’m up for scheduling a work day and gathering volunteers. It’s only getting worse now that powder coating has become a reality for many.

1 Like

Count me in on the work day. I’ll watch the calendar, but if it is scheduled ad hoc outside of that, please let me know. Thanks, dave

2 Likes

Really, nobody thinks it is a bad idea to pull this flammable particulate into a room with several processes that use electric arcs? Even if the concentrations never make it to the levels that will pass a flame front, how much of that flammable dust will build up in various places around the metal shop?