Member Communication

After-the-fact blogging is lovely for “what has happened”. That’s what the dump of photos from the show&tell has been (and would/will continue to be, if/when I have time again, because I really enjoy that). I think what Kris is looking for more of a “upcoming this month” type of thing. The blog, I think, is perfect for that, because it can be updated (daily, weekly, whatever works) whereas a “Monthly newsletter” type of deal is not so suited to our way of doing things (i.e. would require KNOWING a month in advance what is “upcoming”). So. I see the blog format as perfect for the “upcoming events” platform, as well as “things which have happened” platform.

As to the other items: we appear to be (by and large) a Wordpress company, so the platform should probably be that (and as far as I know, is fully viable).

The other facet of “getting the word out” is documenting “big things”, like the Mouser entry on the blog. Perfect for that, I think.

The big thing is: blogs (or any other format we choose) are more work than people think. We need folks who WANT to do that, and can. We’ve been short on those people, it seems to me, more so than short on the venue.

1 final thought/question, for @uglyknees as the poster, but anyone else who can remember:
what was the software you said you used to coordinate posting to multiple social media outlets in one fell swoop? I’ve been digging around for that post, and can’t find it…

2 Likes

Though I agree with you, what do you do for the “people who choose not to use that medium” for [blog | twitter | solution-n]?
The answer APPEARS TO ME to be: scattergun the crap out of it by posting to EVERY outlet you think someone might be watching.
(because RSS is dead…apparently, even though this [bringing what you want to know about to your doorstep] is what it did…)
I still like the blog as the “master copy”, but that’s probably just me…

1 Like

My reference to not using that medium was more to being required to have an account on it. Reading a blog post on the DMS website would not fall into that category. Of course, the best scenario is to post to all mediums, maybe a blog post on the DMS site with links to it on all the social media sites?

1 Like

Hey Robert,
Just pointing out that is a bit of a circular argument, as I could say the same thing to you about a blog. Some people just use use their facebook app on their phone and choose to never use a web browser. Doing just the blog would alienate them. Then the third person pops in and says but I don’t use either. I intend to be alienated no matter what you choose. So watch out for that argument as it is never ending in the group.

I like the Blog option as well, I would just suggest that we have it also post to facebook so we capture as many eyes as possible making the effort put in worth while.

@jast, I think you are wanting Hoot Suite

3 Likes

Sorry, Nick, I verified in a follow-up post that I meant the blog doesn’t require an account to be read. I agree with your points and see the value of offering the communication through multiple mediums.

1 Like

That’s it.
Thank you.

Swear that thing was hidden well! I’ve combed that thread before looking for it… not well enough, obviously!

1 Like

I was wondering how we inform members of important rule and policy changes, and things like that. And I was specifically wondering about how to push that information out.

Perhaps with an opt-in …

The recent parking rules are an example. It was posted on Talk, on the wiki, on the bulletin board, and on the back door. And yet some people said they didn’t know anything about it.

Let’s not get into finger pointing about whether they should have known - I’m just using this to highlight the need for a way to push information. We have several mechanisms for people who want to seek out the information, but I’m seeking a way to reach the others.

2 Likes

If they can’t read signs posted at eye level in front of their faces why would they read a post behind something they had to GASP CLICK ON

3 Likes

What about snail mail for this? It would cost money, but you can’t say that you didn’t get it because your spam filter blocked it or that your don’t check the email account that you registered with. This would also be a good paper trail for the space to have if someone claims they were not notified of changed rules that ended up in costing them money.

Email has to be fully opt-in now of days to work and doesn’t solve your issue of people saying they didn’t get the notice. Traditional mail solves this issue.

Makes me wonder how good our physical mailing addresses are. We have more than a few members whose honorarium checks are returned due to undeliverability or having moved without notifying us.

But regular mail is still better deliverability than email. I do a lot of email campaign work and even with double opt-in we still get spam issues. These are lists they signed up for but people are so lazy it is easier to click report as spam instead of unsubscribe.

2 Likes

My suspicion is like 'Do Not Call" registry - look here is a good number! Same with unsubscribe, they’ll unsubscribe you and sell name to someone else.

No, users have been trained for years to not click the unsubscribe links as those could be drive-by malware. They were told specifically across much of corporate America to add it to blacklists or to report it as spam. :frowning:

1 Like

I totally agree Nick. The last thing I want is for this to become a personal soap box for anyone. Information only reminders like “potluck dinner August 18, 7:00 pm” or “October 7, DMS open house” with a link to the schedule for that day. Another one might be “parking guidelines for DMS”.

If anyone would like to give me a hand getting started please let me know. Infrastructure is on board and I’d like to hear from @Team_PR as there is an overlap with both committees. Communication within DMS and with the public is key to our success and having a place where information can be found easily will be a great asset to our community.

4 Likes

I work in email security for the day job… please make sure that any email list conforms to the CAN-SPAM act and that it not only has unsubscribe links but that they actually work and unsubscribe people.

1 Like

Would you be able to provide some nominal consulting on the requirements?

1 Like

Easy enough :blankspace:

1 Like

Hootsuite is an app that I use that pushes things to Facebook, twitter, and Instagram (plus more accounts if you have them).

I’ve honestly taken a farrrrrrrr left turn from being the cheerleader of dms. Not that my heart isn’t here. I’ve just honestly been resting (and distracted with life) this summer and not as involved as I have been. Soooooo if you look at the dms creative arts web presence it’s not very sparkly.

1 Like

Secretly snickering to the various idea of eye levels In comparison to @John_Marlow and one @mkart

1 Like

Terrible :blankspace:
LOL

1 Like

This is really the way we should approach things. Make a blog post and then put that blog on all the different social media sites and such.

Sorry I am late to the party but everyone should know that they can post to to blog with their DMS credentials. Then the Editors will be notified and it can publish it. https://dallasmakerspace.org/post.

5 Likes