Mechanism to access our collective skillset (and pay / get paid / membership bartering, etc. idea)?

Is there a way for new members to solicit other established members to build things for them and then pay that member (or members) for their work?
For example, I want to build my wife an armoir for Christmas.
I have taken the basic MasterCam class, but have not been tested yet, so I cannot build on the MasterCAM yet.
I would be very happy if I could pay someone who has access to the machines I do not (yet) to:
(A) source the correct materials,
(B) make sure what I have designed is correct (and will work on the wood CNC).

And conversely, can someone post their skills for hire here on DMS?

If there is some way that a member with access to a machine that I do not have could do the work and then donate their funds to the Makerspace to pay towards their membership, that would also be great.

If not, is there an accepted way for someone to get the word out so we can ALL access our collective skillsets (and have a way to pay / get paid / membership bartering, etc. concept)?
Thanks in advance,
Richard

[email protected]

1 Like

You could just post here under the Off Topic Makertrade category

2 Likes

That looks good - - will do.

Maybe we should have a class (but call it a meet-and-greet or a mixer) where everyone sits down at some point and gets onto Talk and familiar with the ins-and-outs of the space.

There are so many things both online and at the space that I am just now getting in on that I could have been benefiting from day one had I known about them…

The idea that new members can have more experienced members build things for those in a hurry, (or walk them through building things after the appropriate class for the patient ones) could be a real driver for membership…

1 Like

I think every committee is working on an “Intro Class” to help new members become more familiar with the ins-and-outs of the 'Space. They seem to work well where implemented, and seem to me like the best approach to this, though not the only, nor exclusive, way.

As for the other points, which are more socially oriented, I think that’s the point of events like this:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/festivus-pot-luck-sock-exchange-december-17th/14351

Nicole ( @uglyknees ) is usually the organizer of such events, and, while I don’t track them, I reckon they happen 3-4 times per year, at least. I think that may meet your suggested “meet-and-greet or mixer” model.

Pot lucks happen monthly.

I don’t think every committee is working on an Intro class, but CA is. Woodshop has a basic skills class, and Machine shop is developing one.

Machine shop & metal shop are both working on a 101/intro.

3 Likes

Anyone is welcome to organize this. All I do is put it on the calendar, buy some tablecloths and put some posters up around the space. Setup some tables and tell some people.

I do try to do them monthly but it largely depends on schedules. Like we didn’t do a couple during the summer and November we didn’t have one because of timing.

2 Likes

MultiCam, by the way.

I don’t know that what you’re describing is common around the space, but you’re essentially just asking for cheap custom furniture. People have designed their own furniture and paid someone else to build it for many a year.

1 Like

This concept is being taken on by @Team_PR Luis is working on making some sort of system where people can post things they would like and also people can post skills that they are willing to job out. I think it’s far down the list of things to do but it’s on the list.

If you want to help this idea come quicker to DMS ask Luis or anyone on the team what you can do to make it happen. @Robert_Davidson visited a makerspace that had a system that he posted long ago.

This was going to be a physical representation in the front hallway.

3 Likes

I just moved this week to a new role at work (sales engineer), but spent the last 8 1/2 years in product management.

One of the things I did there was write a few PRDs (Product Requirements Documents) for software feature development. These are simply documents that outline the components that a feature must have and what it must do. These PRDs can be adapted to hardware as well and are great ways to document exactly what you want done when you are working with software and hardware developers.

That is something I can assist with. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As long as DMS is never in the flow of $$$ or obligations. Member to Member only. I would not want to give the IRS an impression that we are a job shop.

7 Likes

Aha - - I see what you are saying…