MDF and Multicam Cutters

Recently a Maker had a problem with a 1/4" downcut spiral bit working out of the collet about an 1/8" while making a multi-pass cut through MDF. There are a lot of unknowables including how well the cover nut was tightened, initial insert depth of bit in collet, etc.

But one thing that struck me was the generous amount of a sticky coating on the bit, collet, and cover nut. The material being cut is the dark purplish brown MDF that I’ve started to see around the workshop recently. It is new to me and I have never seen it for sale or used it. After a bit of research I found that particular board was purchased from Dakota Hardwoods who sources it from Tecnotabla in Mexico. (http://www.tecnotabla.com/en/home/) It may well be available from other suppliers in the area.

The color is due to Tecnotabla using eucalyptus wood exclusively in their MDF manufacturing plant. I am hoping other users of this material can report back on their experience with the material and any fouling of cutters and blades experienced. I have no way of knowing if the recent experience is a “one off” episode or if it is something we all need to watch for when using eucalyptus MDF.

Please report your experiences/observations. Also, if you happen to have some sizable scraps left from a project, please put them under the Multicam table and I’ll play around with it to see if it needs to be cut at different feeds/speeds, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Bert Rabbe
Multicam SIG Leader

6 Likes

Pretty sure I saw this material used to cut some large arcs for a bent lamination. I haven’t used it in the multicam but I’ve laser cut a ridiculous amount and found that anything in contact with the smoke or cut edge will develop a sticky, resinous coating (fingers included…). I wouldn’t be surprised if the fine sawdust causes the same effect. The major difference in the processes here is the heat involved, but the resin remained sticky after it cooled so I’m not sure if the multicam can avoid the lasers fate.

1 Like

Bert, Thanks for your research on this specifically, and sharing your multicam knowledge in general.

The scenario Bert describes at the beginning of his post occurred cutting the arches. I haven’t used this type MDF with the lasers, so I appreciate you posting about it.