[Marketplace] Help needed Beagle Bone Green Hydroponic set up

I am looking to have help with a hydroponic set using Beagle bone green. I need to get the hardware set up and i am kind of running out of steam. I was wondering if could get some help or encouragement from some other coders. I am in an apartment. I like to gardening. This project was to be done to post for a spot on resume, I am desiring to put a web cam to keep this all above board and to avoid questions by authorities. I do not want bring the hydroponic set up in as part might go missing and because past hydroponic set up require alot of maintenance. Also past hydroponic step ups have failed and others in science team mentioned they lacked direction. My hope where to also use this to create cotton or another product to feed back into another makerspace community. I am willing to put the hydroponic set up at makerspace given i am promised security. Also given that i own this project and my investment does not become community property.

1 Like

While hydroponics is cool I doubt this has much to do with retrocomputing, programing, infosec, it/devops, or pc modding Well unless one can get the plants to be turing complete.

That said maybe reach out on /c/volunteer-ops or /c/off-topic/job-listings.

Of course on the programming side, try https://www.instructables.com/id/Hyduino-Automated-Hydroponics-with-an-Arduino/

This is true that hydroponics is not programming but the bbb green board can be brought in. Theni can put fake signals in and run the program. I did not mean to waste time. I will try electrical.

The reference to the beagle bone Green.

https://beagleboard.org/green-wireless

Your hydroponic postings will be very welcome on the Electronics category especially if they are not Turing complete. The project, after all, starts with sensors and ends with actuators.

I will not try to redirect your project but based on Talk, classes and conversations, we seem to have a lot more interest and expertise in Raspberry Pi and Arduino-ish boards than Beagle Bone. It seems to be an interesting board but I don’t hear it referenced at DMS.

Several of us offer classes based on Arduino. I especially like the ESP8266 microcontroller as used on the Wemos/Lolin D1 Mini. It is Arduino IDE programmable, five times as fast as an Uno, 100 times the flash, on-board WiFi and cheaper. I use it in my Arduino: Blynk into the Internet of Things class. I will be kicking off the new year with classes in January.
http://pamplin.com/dms/free%20announcement%20poster_2.docx

I’ll be glad to help any way I can. I’ll PM my phone number.

3 Likes

I concur, ESP8266s especially the 12s are a thing of beauty for IoT projects.

1 Like

The Beaglebones have one nice feature that differentiates them from other offerings. It has two PRU’s (Programmable Realtime Units) built into the ARM it uses. It’s basically like having two microcontrollers available for running real time code while the CPU handles the full linux stack. The PRU’s have a super simple instruction set (no floating point, no integer division (maybe even no multiply if I am remembering correctly)).

There are a lot of projects out there where people want a full webserver for instance, but also want to be able to run timing sensitive code. A lot of times, people end up attaching an Arduino to a Pi to get something like this done. In theory, this is where you could use PRU’s instead of adding an Arduino.

All that said, IMO PRU’s are a PITA to use in practice and I find the documentation and good examples very lacking. Some things are fairly simple, but communication between the two PRU’s has proven to be rough. I tried to use a Beaglebone for one of my projects (heavy math on ARM, one PRU acting like a FIFO, feeding another PRU stepping motors) and decided it would be a lot more fun (and expensive!) to use an Arty Z7-20 (Xilinx ARM single board computer with FPGA fabric in it).

3 Likes

I look forward to bringing in the beagle bone green and electronics. After testing I will hope to be responsible for the projects up keep, production and any further integration.

1 Like