MakerSpace Bee Hive make our own honey?

I used to do bee removals for a living, trap outs are fine but they are not a permanate solution for the home owner. Even if you close it up, critters are likely to get into the old hive and every spring there’s a chance a swarm will find it and occupy it again. I have trade secrets I used to use to be able to put a lifetime warranty on my work.

1 Like

I have a lead on a hive that needs removal, ground level, no working on a ladder. If you have an empty hive, a good way to move a hive, a suit and gloves contact me ASAP to learn how to do a cut out and get some free bees.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha, freebees.

4 Likes

The entrance to my hive is where the power line goes int to the wasll

If I can get rid of them, maybe over the summer I will have money to
replce the wall tiles and finde something, This has been an on going
problem for several years, And since I leave the back door open so
the dog can come and go,we get bees coming in the house mostly at
night, I have gotten stung sitting on my computer and I think the biggest
surprise when I grabbed the milk carton out of the fridge and got stung
by a bee on the handle, I really don t want to kill them we need bees

The Bees are Swarming

2 Likes

I have a box ready and live in Carrollton

1 Like

I think I have a perfect place for the bee’s! Let me know

If we make our own honey then can we use some of that to make mead? I’ll be glad to teach the course.

1 Like

Just bringing this back from the dead, I have started drawing up plans for a free DIY scrap wood beehive

4 Likes

when are you going to be at the space next? I would love to see what you have come up with so far

2 Likes

Should be at the space this Sunday afternoon, may teach a class at the end of the month on basic hive construction

2 Likes

oh wow can we meet and discuss it?

Heck yeah, perhaps we need 2 start a Bee committee at the makerspace

do you have your own hives?

Should talk to Brian Stout in the Woodshop (doesn’t get on here much). He makes some really nice beehives using scrap lumber, and is a good source of maker information.

6 Likes

Bee Source also has a set of detailed plans from making beekeeping and honey processing equipment. Make sure you honor “bee space” in anything you make so that your boxes will be well-accepted by the bees and will play nice with commercial equipment.

IMHO, it doesn’t make economic sense for a hobbyist to make his/her own frames: it requires many jigs and setups to execute, and buying them is cheap, cheap, cheap. Using commercial frames with homemade equipment only works, however, if you make compatible boxes.

2 Likes

smashing! I have some Texas wildflower seeds to donate to the committee and could do a seed bomb class.

2 Likes

The City of Carrollton (most cities are the same) has tracts of land owned by the city and for various reasons not being used.

My idea was to approach the city and request a parcel of this land for public (read DMS) use. a one or two acre track could hold dozens of hives. This would allow DMS to start a Beekeeping group and allow the city to boast about it’s efforts to help the struggling Bee population…

6 Likes

If you guys get a polished proposal together I can get you in touch with the correct people in Carrollton.

6 Likes