Maintenance on the HAAS

When was the last time the HAAS has gone through periodic maintenance or rather when was the last time it was ran? Seems every time I’m at the shop the machine is just sitting there collecting cobwebs. Coolant ratio correct? Spindle oil topped off, refreshed? Backlash check? Voltage checks? Waylube topped off? Funny noises? Etc? ( I work, maintain, and put out fires on HAAS CNC machines at my job )

I don’t have major machining assignments from school so I’m just usually experimenting with the Bridgeport and have spare time. With that being said I want to offer maintenance assistance with the HAAS. Is there a maintenance task being scheduled in the future? New controller? Servos etc?

5 Likes

That’s really great of you to offer, and I am sure the help will be gratefully accepted by @Team_Machine_Shop! Please consider letting one or two seriously interested folks do a ride-a-long while you do this :dms:

@nicksilva , the former chairman, has kept up pretty good with most of the light maintenance. The ATC is about to be repaired with rebuilding of the bad half.

You experience and expertise would be greatly appreciated in developing a PM checklist that could be laminated and posted on the machine. Within Machine Shop we have teams that have “adopted” the various machines and tools and assumed primary responsibility for their care and maintenance . Your talent and knowledge would be greatly welcome on Team Haas.

Team Haas last Thursday ordered 10 new sets of ATC rebuild kits from Haas, after doing a heavy maintenance cycle on ATC a while back. I expect the parts to be in sometime at the end of next week and they’ll be getting together.

@richmeyer @nicksilva @Chris_Wischkowsky @TBJK would be a good group to initially contact to become involved and to let you know when they pllan to do things.

The Haas isn’t run daily but it may be run more than you suspect - maybe I see it more because I’m there more at various hours. If you can teach or help teach Haas classes that would be fantastic so this great tool can be utilized more.

If you’ve worked on Bridgeports, there is repair we need to make: The pin that keeps collects from spinning when inserted into the spindle appears to have sheared, you can feel the small nub. We need to disassemble the lower spindle so that pin can be replaced.

We’d love to have your help!

There is a brown colored Engineering Notebook with a black binding labeled HAAS that is located in the roll-around bookcase near the filing cabinet. There are also similar notebooks for the Metal Lathe, the Bridgeport Mill, and the Sherline machines. We should be using these as maintenance journals and keeping them up to date. Anytime an adjustment is made, coolant is added, maintenance work is done, parts ordered, part vendor info, etc., a journal entry should be made with a date and a person’s name. Since we have different people doing this work that change over time, at least we would know the who, what, when and where. Future questions like “when was the backlash last checked” could be answered. If we need more journals like these I can get them, I provided the first set.

Looks like the Haas parts will now ship, but they are coming from main factory not Richardson according to sales rep.

Did we order the tool release button as well? If parts arrive and Nick is up for it that is something we can knock out this Sunday. Both are pretty simple procedures and shouldn’t take but a few hours.

No, just tool changer kits.

Some HAAS parts came it today. The box is sitting by the HAAS.

1 Like