Magic Yarn Project

“Chemotherapy treatments often leave young scalps too sensitive for traditional wigs. Our yarn wigs are comfy, soft, and warm. Magic yarn wigs are inspired by beloved Disney characters, and invite children back to the world of play and daydreaming. They are beacons of fun, laughter, and play, during scary times.”

I’d love to get together to make some of these. My crochet skills are minimal so it could also be a great teaching moment for someone. Anyone up for teaching /hosting?

https://themagicyarnproject.com

6 Likes

Many moons ago I had Michael Paskar mock up this graphic for a charity crafting event here at the space. I know @BarkingChicken is looking for opportunities to create maker charity related events at the space. I fully support this.

For this event I reached out to scrap in Denton and they donated something like $25ish worth of yarn for this event. It was a carload. If anyone is interested in setting something up I would be willing to ask again (we also have quite a bit of community yarn to use up)

YARNEVENT[2].pdf (405.4 KB)

1 Like

@MellissaRhodes I don’t do much crochet/knitting myself due to arthritis issues, but I’d love to help you get this started up. Maybe we can touch base with someone in Fiber Arts and see if anyone would be willing to turn this into a class? I see youv’e copied them on this message, I believe that @kyrithia is probably a good person to start with (she seems to know everyone in fiber arts whereas I’ve only been briefly introduced).

3 Likes

This is a cool project. Thanks Mel.

I would like to see us making 3D printed prosthetic hand and arms too.

4 Likes

We’ll talk about this at the fiberfrolic tonight. I can’t take on anything (am actively having to dial back a lot of commitments due to some family stuff). But will see if anyone else is interested

Barring that, anyone that wants to learn to crochet can come to a fiberfrolic and someone can help.

3 Likes

I posted a link to this thread in our Fiberholic fb forum

3 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t intend to imply that you would take on that project, only that you might know who’d be interested. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem. I totally understood (not specifically me), but just putting that out there since I tend to coordinate (aka herd cats) some of the fiber happenings. But it’s a good project that I’ll submit to the hive-mind and see if any nibbles.

And if anyone is moved to and just needs a little assistance, crochet lessons, we’ll happily assist - infect - enable you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am a left handed crocheter if anyone needs help. :slight_smile:

3 Likes