Machine to precicely cut/drill 1/4" mild plate steel?

All,
Will either of the laser cutters cut 1/4" plate steel? Or is there any other automated machine in the shops that can cut holes in an automated process? Size of material would ideally be 24"x48" but could be 12"x24" or 12"x12". The biggest need is preciseness of spacing and hole diameter. Project: Welding Jigs

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill

The lasers will not cut metal and neither will the CNC router in the woodshop.

That leaves you with the HAAS, but I don’t know the maximum size of material it will accommodate.

The preciseness of the hole diameter precludes using the PlasmaCAM (CNC plasma cutter.)

Exactly on point with the plasma cutter. Obviously was my first thought and quickly shot it down too. A water jet cutter would be ideal, but we don’t have one that I’m aware of.

No. DMS doesn’t have one of those and the one that was looked at briefly was the Wazer desktop unit. It wouldn’t have the bed size for what you need.

1 Like

Thanks for the help and fast response.

You’re welcome.

Good luck with the project.

This “could” be done on the Bridgeport mill depending on how many holes you need and your span of attention. The other methods discussed would certainly make it easier but we don’t have the necessary equipment. An opportunity to get into BASIC machining - old school. :grinning:

Russell Ward

2 Likes

While the lasers won’t CUT the metal, you could use them (and some blue tape or Ceremark) to precisely MARK the hole placement.

That (and a center punch to indent the hole centers) might be enough to get you the precision you need.

3 Likes

2x4’ 1/4” steel plate weighs 80lbs. Probably not a good idea to put that in the laser.

2 Likes

Sheet of acrylic (or?) same size as plate.
Cut holes and use as template w/ centering punch to mark cntrs on plate.

5 Likes

A 3,000W laser will cut the holes. A person could do them in 12*12" so weight could be a non-issue.

If you want lots and lots and lots of holes something like this might work:

1 Like

Thanks for that. That is a great option. I didn’t know it even existed.

I like their description at the bottom of the page:
Industrial &
Architectural
Hole Product
Solutions
Since 1952.

1 Like