Lumberyard Suggestions

Does anybody have suggestions on where I can go to find wooden beams locally. I mean the large wooden beams at least 12’x12’.
I would also like suggestions as to where to go to get higher end or exotic woods.

I don’t know about beams but we created a thread for sources here.

Just to clarify, I think you mean 12"x12"; 12’ would indicate feet. Usually a 12"x12" beam" is custom cut, or fabricated. A lumber yard won’t have it. You need to talk to a small lumber mill. For that matter, if your making a structure using solid wood beams like a 12x12 there are a lot of specialty mills that are focused on this kind of wood construction. The other option is to glue several pieces of smaller dimensional lumber together to form a larger piece. That is usually better from a structural standpoint because then you’ll know for sure that there aren’t any hidden imperfections in you beam, a common problem with large beams made of one solid piece of wood.

2 Likes

If your beams(timber) are going to be load bearing - a more economical route would be to order LVL beams in any span (length) you want and then cover them in the exotic wood of your choosing. They are available at real lumber yards and Home Depot / Lowes

http://www.woodbywy.com/trus-joist/microllam-lvl-beams/

If you are able to spend money Makerspace style where money is no object. http://www.oldewoodltd.com/products/beams-timbers

Do share what your plan is for your beams?

2 Likes

I plan cut them into 12’ or 14’ blocks, then slide a tall piece of tempered glass into them. I will then hang art work on the assembly. I deal art so I’m exploring ways to display art in an aesthetically pleasing way with a smaller footprint than a traditional easel. So I essentially just need something dense and heavy.

The exotic wood is actually for a different project.

LVL’s are dense, zero voids, easy to cut and mill, (and green for the tree huggers) and certainly available in the twelve & fourteen foot lengths you’re looking for.

Typical art display easels on the market today do leave a lot to be desired (I own a small gallery & framing shoppe).