Looking to create a sheet metal fabrication 101 class

I am working on putting together a training class to teach others how to use the sheet metal sheer, brake and slip roll. I am seeing how much interest there would be into learning how to use these fixtures properly. Please feel free to chime in.

A little about me. I have been a metal fabricator for over 20 yrs and have built cars from the ground up including fabrication of full replacement panels. So i would also like to see what interest there would be in a sheet metal fabrication class. Which would also include the english wheel.

26 Likes

Always glad to see more 101 classes, other than it being stifling hot in metal shop I don’t use it often due to my lack of knowledge on tools meant to cut through or shape metal since flesh is quite a bit weaker, or so I’m told. Also, just in my opinion, some of the areas at DMS seem almost inaccessible to members who dont have a background or degree in that area because there are either no basics classes or no classes in general.

2 Likes

That would be great. I’ve managed to use both the shear and brake and still have all finger parts.

Have wanted to do things like metal bins/drawers so would love a project/101 class.

I’d be interested. I’ve been trained on / used the shear but I admit I can’t use it alone.

1 Like

sign me up please. An English wheel class(if we had one) would be cool.

1 Like

I will get the class info in to commity for review and then we can go from there. I have most of everything drawn up. There will also be a safety section to the class also.

2 Likes

I think this would be a great addition to Metal Shop’s repertoire.
Are you planning to attend Metal Shop’s Monthly meeting on Saturday?
This would be a good time to get other’s opinions in person, I should think. Acting chair @hon1nbo Jim Hartnett would be the person to ask about a place on the agenda.

1 Like

Yes i was I will bring what I have written up

1 Like

It can be presented as a new item for discussion. I’m sure people will be
up for it. Of course you can always teach a class, but standardizing basic
classes is an item on the agenda.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

I’d be interested in learning to use these tools.

I would be interested in this class. Especially the English Wheel and slip roll part.

We do also have a Shrinker/Stretcher.

3 Likes

That can be included in another class. Like 102 or 103

@TBJK put on a good class (https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2264) - are we reworking that or is this something new or ?

No question though, I appreciate your offer to teach!

1 Like

Im wanting to show what yiu can make and the safety of the machines. As all 3 can seriously hurt you if you are not careful. Shear alone can crush toes and fingers. The brake can pinch and the slip roll can pull metal through your hands like a paper cut and also crush fingers and pinch. Also the metal type and thickness is very important too. If you have to over work the machine then you are asking to much from it and can hurt you and others and ultimately damage the machine.

2 Likes

I think we all should get together and talk about it and see what we can come up with.

Very similar to what I’ve taugh in the past. In the training slides I mentioned that you have to be careful with sheet metal. Recommend cut resistant gloves & potentially sleeves. If its not respected then it can be a life altering event.

2 Likes

Definitely interested in a class like this!

1 Like

Count me in—this would be very helpful for a project I am about to begin.