Looking for help with the CNC machine!

Hi everyone my name is Josh McCarley. I just found out about this awesome organization. I do wood work as a hobby and work with slabs and cookies a lot. I am trying to plane a couple larger peices that won’t fit through the planer. I was told that the CNC machine does wonders. I am making these for a Christmas gift for my mom. I see that the only class this month to learn the cnc machine is on the 17th and not sure it will give me enough time to finish. I would like to see if anyone who has experience with the machine would be willing to help me get these planed. I am willing to pay if needed! Thank you all for your time and consideration!

682-777-1872
Josh McCarley

1 Like

I have seen several people do this. Kinda cool, but time consuming.

If time is an issue, you might look at Hardwood Lumber about milling it too.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of them do you know what they charge or how to get in contact with them?

Thank you
Josh

Lots of good info here
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Wood_Suppliers
including:
which is, I suspect, of whom John speaks.
On their website they list custom millwork services:
http://www.hlcdallas.com/millwork.php
I reckon a phone call will net you approximate costs…

2 Likes

Wow thank y’all so much for the help I will call them tomorrow!

1 Like

I think last time I had them plane something for me it was like $20. I was buying it from them, though, so there may have been a discount there. Anyhow Tom at Hardwood is a good guy and he’ll get you sorted.

An alternative would be to build a router sled and just do it yourself with the hand router.
This video shows one in action. It doesn’t have to be near as fancy though. As long as you’ve a channel for it to run in and the rails are level you’re good. It does take forever though.

3 Likes

I do this often with the CNC but unfortunately can’t help before Christmas. If you are talking about a big slab, say 8’ long and 24" wide it would take about 2-3 hours with setup and cleanup. Time depends on how much cupping and twisting exists. To pay a professional you’d be over $50 an hour ago Hardwood lumber may be your most affordable option.

2 Likes

Thank you sir I appreciate the honesty and advice!

Thank you sir

Josh, I sent you a PM last night. Can do at DMS if we can match schedules.