Local wood sources and discounts

Not sure if we already have this somewhere but thought we should have something to show members what local business’ offer to DMS members or even a better description of what they have. I will go about anywhere to search for the right piece of wood.

Woodcraft - Very popular national woodworking store that carries all the essentials for your woodworking needs. If your a Festool fan this is a good place to see a lot of what they have to offer. I asked if they gave DMS members their standard 10% club discount and they gave it to me, not sure if they were suppose to. Always worth asking for.

Rockler - Very popular national woodworking store that carries all the essentials for your woodworking needs. Very similar to Woodcraft in their offerings. I like that they have a lot of innovations every year that come from woodworkers. Have not asked for the club discount for DMS but I know they offer it to there clubs.

Wood World - Woodworking store that also carries all the essentials for your woodworking projects. I think what sets them apart is the amount of items they have to offer to woodturners. By far the largest selection of tools and wood for a woodturner that I have seen in one store. Have not asked for the club discount for DMS but I know they offer it to there clubs.

Hardwood Lumber Company - A woodworking shop who sells wood too. They have a large assortment of local and exotics and even a wall of selected specialty or figured woods to pick from for that special project. I thought pricing was great as well as customer service. Since they are a woodworking shop they can also flatten a table top for you in their rotex planer or wide belt sander for a fee. I had them flatten a burl slab and it saved me a ton of time for $30. Another big plus is the wall of cutoffs that they sell at a discount. Pricing is not set on the cutoffs in my experience but I bought a lot of mahogany for cheap that fit my needs. They also told me that if DMS/members ordered at least $200 of wood at a time they would deliver it to DMS for free, great for members who do not have a truck.

Dakota Premium Hardwoods - This is a large wood supplier for the area that typically deals with contractors. They sell a large variety of hardware, veneer, formica, wood…etc. If you go there ask for Max as he is working hard to figure out ways to support DMS. They will let you pick through the wood to select what you want but put the stack back together when you are done. They will provide free delivery to DMS for all orders over $300. Max seems very eager to find ways to work with us which is a plus.

McKinney Hardwoods - Mike sells wood out of his home shop so be sure to call ahead to discuss a time to come. Great selection of hardwood lumber and big leaf maple burl the day I went. You can tell he enjoys buying and selling high quality wood by talking to him and can see it on the shelves.

I know there are many other wood suppliers in the area, I just have not made it to them yet. If someone knows of any that specialize in figured woods that is what I am looking for.

6 Likes

Also McKinney Hardwoods for lumber.

1 Like

Wood world also has a pretty fair supply of hardwoods, and veneered plywood as well.

1 Like

I second the support for McKinney Hardwood.
He is currently running a pre-summer sale. Here are his current prices of the wood he’s put on sale. I bought some of the Maple burl and it is very nice. The Honduran Rosewood is 26% less than he normally charges for it.

Wood Discount Price/Retail
4/4 Wenge: $17.00/BF ($19.00)
4/4 Zebrawood: $17.00/BF ($19.00)
4/4 Honduran Rosewood: $20.00/BF ($26.00)
4/4 Yellowheart: $9.00/BF ($10.50)
Big Leaf Maple Burl: $12.50/BF ($15.00)
4/4 Bubinga , Qtr Sawn $13.50/BF ($16.00)

Sales prices will be good thru the end of May 2016.

1 Like

I have not been to Mckinney but after looking at their web site will make sure I get by sometime.

I went to hardwood lumber a few weeks ago. I talked with Tom for about an hour, he also doesn’t mind you looking around. They had quite a bit of reclaimed wood too. He was very honest with me & told me if I had some wood projects that were going to sit in the sun that he would rather not sell me it. He said he didn’t want me to waste my money on something that wouldn’t hold up to the Texas sun & heat.

My experience with Tom has been great as well. I bought some curly white oak from him that is just gorgeous. He had another board of it that I should have bought.

Wood World is my go-to store for pen turning blanks. They have so many types of wood, it’s like a candy store. They also have a big selection of acrylic blanks for pens.

Mike is a really nice guy too. +1 for McKinney Hardwoods!

I dropped this information onto the Wiki under “Local Vendors” at the bottom of the committee page …

3 Likes

Just wanted to point out this thread @mrcity had going last year. Covers more than just wood, but might be worth a glance through.

4 Likes

Good call on McKinney hardwoods! Stopped by last night and picked up some burl.

4 Likes

I bought a very nice burl slab just like some of these from Mike last week. He got them from Oregon. They were stacked about 6 feet high when I saw them. Some of them were large enough to make a nice table from.

His other wood selections are top rate, too. I bought some Peruvian Walnut, Curly Maple and Bocote from him, too.

I highly recommend Mike’s place to other woodworkers.

1 Like

Central Hardwoods is pretty great and just down 35 from the space. They’ll sell their scraps at a discount too. Got 4x8’ sheets of 1/8" mdf for 6.50

Where are they located? I will be coming from Oak Cliff

Central Hardwoods
1959 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75220
https://goo.gl/maps/RLmUxG4af4T2

1 Like

They are nice and they have Saturday hours as well!

2 Likes

Does anyone no a good local source for bamboo?