Lift Install Updates

The Calgary space (www.protospace.ca if you ever find yourself in Calgary) had a separate members-only list for airing the family laundry. Some things just aren’t appropriate for public discourse.

The reason $100 was proposed this time around, was to discourage abuser from signing for one month just to use the lift and/or wreck the space. Check.

The Training alternative, that would achieve the same result, would be Spaced out training. Since training is unavoidable for this piece of equipment, AND members who are going to stick around for a long time are more desirable…Whats a month extra anyway. The option I presented in bold above, achieves the same result through scheduling, with no exorbitant additional costs. Check.

So it seems that getting MONEY is the true motivator. OR is there something I am missing, as the way these issues are presented become muddle and non-sequitur.

Otherwise we may need to add to the open night tours presentation, “As a current member, you may use any space, or equipment 24hrs a day BUT… arbitrary charges.

…X…

Here’s why I disagreed with that idea above:

People tend to work on their vehicles at DMS to save money. If something breaks or is wearing out on my vehicle, I may not be able to wait for the initial training and then wait another month for the test so I can finally repair my vehicle.

Your idea works for people who just want to tinker around with a side project but if someone needs the lift ASAP for a repair, it just doesn’t make sense.

The training class for the lift should be fairly short and sweet. At the end, each participant can demonstrate that they know how to safely lift a vehicle. It’s not rocket surgery.

The training class for the lift should be fairly short and sweet. At
the end, each participant can demonstrate that they know how to
safely lift a vehicle. It’s not rocket surgery.

… unless it’s an Oldsmobile.

4 Likes

You are right, that extending the training is prohibitive in its own fashion. Thus was the point, in order to solve some issues presented in this thread (I know TL;DR) I am glad we agree that saving money is important, and thus why the Training should not cost and only take as long as it needs to take.

A minor point, training should NEVER be short and sweet. EVER! Training should be appropriate to ensure the trainee(s) gain the knowledge and skills necessary to proficiently perform the task at hand. When dealing with powered equipment: short should not be part of the equation, and safety is the cornerstone.

To clarify the only reason I proposed the two month training thing was as a viable option to discourage one time members who needs to drop a transmission, abuse the space and disappear. Which is one of the chief complaints, expectations and justification for charging an arm and a leg for “training” in the first place?

We should just roll with it, no charges just appropriate training and see what happens. Fix the problems that pop up and not try to engineer solutions to plausible ones.

…X…

I just meant that there isn’t a ton of information to cover like some of the other classes at DMS.

5 Likes