Lets build up some cars and have a class - Drift Cars

Damn this looks like fun … It’s the video not the music
Turn it down if you don’t like it …

2 Likes

@dallasmagna

If you can get the space, I can teach the class/es, layout the course, and run a few drills.
A flat dirt surface that won’t get torn up quickly will suffice as well, if a paved surface isn’t available.

1 Like

I would love to have a drift class…

1 Like

You can watch the non-ripped-off versions here.

FYI - the Lemons car would actually make an OK drift car, with some modifications. Just remember that a set of drit tires will run you about $400, plus track fees, transport, fuel, etc. It’s not a cheap way to have fun.

3 Likes

I love the hoonigans. also watching Gymkahana files on amazon was pretty interesting too. I’m pretty sure the Photography and film committees would enjoy watching it too since its all about the making of gymkahana 10.

All such activities are approved and encouraged under AOC’s Green New Deal. :wink::smirk::grin:

It’s a biodiesel drift car, honest!

Audi’s turbo diesel LeMans car.
Capable of spinning the tires in any gear.
Kept drivers and corner workers on their toes.
Nicknamed “The Gray Ghost”.
One season’s improvement included a light on the dash to tell the driver when traction was lost.
Approved!

To bad the program was discontinued due to dieselgate.

1 Like

+1 the S14(200SX/240SX) is almost the poster child for drift cars.
Putting the stock tires back on will suffice to teach the basics.
An LSD and more power(either a retrofit turbo, sr20det, rb26dett or a v8 swap) later on when peeps want to do more stuff with it. The V8 while not “pure” or JDM will be the smartest way to go in the long run.
But for starters, factory rubber and an open lot gets us going on the road to a drift specific track.

Speaking of drift.
Required viewing for the car guy/gal.
Fun fact 1: Funimation is located in Flower Mound.
Fun fact 2: The theories described in the anime applies to the real world.

Required viewing 2 for the drift enthusiast:
DK Keiichi Tsuchiya’s Drift Bible in English.

1 Like

So what’s the favored LSD?
Clutchpacks, Torsen/Quaif, ?
Last time I looked into this the Torsen was recommended for FWD, autocrossing, and road racing.
But that was long before Drifting became an official competition.

From what i understand the drifters like the clutch style diffs since they offer full lockup unlike the torsen diffs.

I prefer a clutch type LSD like those available from Cusco for racing applications, and Torsen for street applications. You can adjust the “strength” of the lockup for the clutch types.
I don’t know if anyone makes a Torsen for the RWD street cars, I’ve only come across them for FWD applications. The most notable being the ones found in the 97-2000 Civic/Integra Type Rs. The Torsens are more seamless than the clutch type.
Quaife made it available for other cars but no info on how popular they were with the tuner/racing crowd.
At >$1,000 a pop and the driver needing to do their part to benefit from the mod, most guys seem to be focused on more HP first than the means of putting the power to the ground. :expressionless:

I have a factory torsen in my IS300.

Sorry, I meant for the aftermarket.

1 Like

This kills the car for Lemons.

The power stuff definitely, the LSD perhaps not. It adds speed without adding power.

Simple, put the 4 banger valve cover cover on top of the RB…

1 Like

Not to be stupid, but Torsen makes Torsen for the aftermarket, don’t they?
https://torsen.com/aftermarket-sales/
Technically, I think, JTEKT Torsen North America…

1 Like

lol. The more expensive way is to bore up and high comp the KA24DE. Lots of torque at any rpm would be good for any vehicle.

That said, for messing around on the track an LSD, and big balls, something more difficult to acquire, is all that’s needed. :smiley: