Leather Field Notes Cover Project Class 5/18

We have a leather project class that just opened for registration. As usual, there is a hard limit of 5 spots open and this is the first class being taught by our new Leather-working instructor @Lordrook ! This type of project class is perfect for beginners and those wanting to dip their toe into working with leather.

• You do not need to take the Intro to Leather-working class prior to taking this class.
  • This class will sign you off on using the Leather-working cabinet tools, but not the Leather Sewing Machines.

Making a leather Field Notes notebook cover
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6002

When Fri May 18 7pm — 9pm
Where Creative Arts Studio
1825 Monetary Ln #104 Carrollton, TX 75006
What Learn how to make a leather notebook cover for a Field Notes style notebook.
Host Daniel Wynne

The next set of Leather Project classes will be making zippered pouches on the Janome Sewing machines. This is a quicker alternative for those of you that hate hand stitching. :slight_smile: ahem @JenG . These pouches also make great Notions Bags. We’ll post those classes as soon as we have a date settled. Stay tuned!

3 Likes

Sounds great! Can we assume it is okay to register to these classes (notebook/ pouches) even though one did not take « leather basics » just yet?

1 Like

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

As of last month, ALL leather project classes sign you off on using the Training Required Leather-working cabinet.

So, yes you can absolutely register for Leather Project Classes without having taken the Intro to Leather class. I do recommend you take the Intro to Leather class when they become available, since those cover all the tools we have available, whereas the project classes only cover the skills and tools needed per individual project.

Also note that the Leather Sewing Machines are Training Required regardless of taking the Intro, or Project classes.

5 Likes

This looks like a great class, I’ve been wanting to make a small version of this. Hope I can make one of the classes

One spot left for this class. I’m so glad to see there’s this kind of interest in Leather. We’ll be getting more project classes up asap!

1 Like

$#It, I missed it. Is this a “one and done’ class?

No sir! We have enough supply to run a second class for this project. Date has not been selected yet though. Stay tuned!

1 Like

Nice, thanks! (Plus 20 exclamation points for emphasis)

1 Like

Lol :joy: - it’s not so much that I hate the hand-stitching as it is that I need to build up my hand toughness for it!

2 Likes

As @webdevel stated this is my first class and we will have enough materials (barely) for 2 runs. Since it looks like there’s a lot of interest, coupled with how fast this one filled up I will probably set up the next clas on the calendar next week sometime (for maybe 3-4 weeks out).

In the future I also plan to teach a class on a midori style notebook that uses printer paper folded in half 8.5x5.5, so keep your eyes peeled for that one as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes