Lease Space for a new Makerspace

Yes it is 6.2 Million which is something we can’t afford.

1 Like

As a Richardson resident, I’m with you!

1 Like

I swear I saw this thread weeks ago… am I going crazy or is Discourse?

That’s a weird way to spell traffic.

5 Likes

Sorry if it’s been asked but I couldn’t find any thread on it

No problem I was just having a crazy sense of deja vu… turns out the mention of a dealership triggered my memory of this thread

1 Like

Have we looked at applying for grants or city help for this?

1 Like

Ideally, I’d say some where near our current location us, bounded by 35E, 635, and 161. This provides easy access for a lot of places and would have minimal impact on current membership.

1 Like

I want a city government that is friendly to us.

Which means I would prefer to be out of Carrollton. The Fire Marshall BS.

I would like to be in Dallas or Farmer’s Branch or Lewisville(maybe).

Not really looking to deal with Plano traffic.

I hate to say it, but for as non traditional as we are, there is a lot of room for fire marshal relations to be worse.

5 Likes

We’d only have to go south of Valwood to be in Farmers Branch.

@Diplomat The Fire Marshall, just one official, is not reflective of the City of Carrollton. I doubt anyone has approached them about the our difficulty with him and resolving the matter. On the other hand, I have not heard of the City wanting to visit our Space and learn about how much good we are building the community. That’s a great task for someone on PR to task :smile:

@Photomancer Farmers Branch has traditionally not reflected the inclusive nature of the community we cherish. That is why they were a no-go on our hunt for this Space.

Maybe that is changing. I hope so. But if it has not, we need to continue to protect our membership in an inclusive municipal society.

5 Likes

I would prefer that they are not worse. That is a goal we should not want to reach.

Do we have any contacts within Carrollton? I would be happy to gently reach out to them and work on our relationship. A tour for city officials is always a great starting point. The post audit “value” of DMS is another item.

We bring in lots of non-Carrollton folks, gasoline, Tanners, breakfast, lunch, and dinner money. We probably help the local economy by 2x to 4x the revenue of DMS.

I have been told that both FB and Lewisville are going to be friendlier to us than Carrollton. The Carrollton Fire Marshall is a known “challenge”.

1 Like

I think we should try the honey approach. I’m sure that there are multiple was to engage with the city to show the benefits of makerspace.

A special invitation could be sent to the city council for the Thursday night tour or special more formal tour that highlights some projects that have the members have done.

With the creative talents and capabilities I’m sure a visible presence can be made to get involved in with local charities and events, ie , build booths for local fairs & events, carnival games, and custom charity donation pieces for raffle & give away’s.
Maybe the CFD & CPD have local events that we could help out with a little volunteer time and using our production capabilities.
anyway it’s early and my head isn’t on straight yet but it’s just my thoughts.
Thanks,
Woody

1 Like

Would we like a visit from the Carrollton City Council? If someone would send me a brief on what we would like to show the city I would be more than happy to hand carry it to Mayor Falconer and invite them to tour our Space… I’d mention before about approaching the city about our needs. While the city itself is not going to give us much there are some nice contacts and friends of friends to be had.

1 Like

What about these meetings? Anyone working the symbiotic-business angle of seeking space?

Might also provide networking opportunities for Carrollton, Addison, Farmer’s Branch city councils/local politics…

1 Like

Addison is big on the whole startup incubator thing.

http://www.addisontreehouse.com/

3 Likes

Working on it!!! The FB mayor is coming soon followed by the Carrollton mayor (hopefully)

5 Likes

I can agree with @zmetzing on this. I work in Southlake and live at the apartments by the Dart station in Farmers Branch (35 & 635). This is one of the easiest commutes I’ve had. A drive to South Plano is far worse, I don’t even like doing that from where I live, I’d rather drive to Southlake.

1 Like

If a heads up could be given to the committee chairs before ‘Special Visitors’ swing by, that would be cool. Some areas are pretty much always snazzy and I have great envy of those, but Fired Arts is still a challenge to keep clean and tidy (working on it!). If I have a bit of warning I can give the area a quick once over and maybe have someone there doing a low-key demo. I don’t want to be disingenuous, but there is a benefit to showing at least an average day rather than chancing a worst day. :slight_smile:

6 Likes