Laboratory equipment possibilities

This is more directed at Josh Melnick since he’s trying to do a DIY version for a laboratory shaker. I found some possibilities for purchase however:

1. https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/rabin/catalogue-id-rabin10039/lot-b1c1947d-4c89-4aee-be8e-a801017c0270

There are others but apparently I’m not allowed to post more than 2 links. DM me and I’ll send you the others.

This is for Brian, there is a potential ~6 and a half foot labconco fume hood for auction that is relatively inexpensive. This could be placed on a desktop and serve as a fume hood for small organic experiments and/or demonstrations in a classroom.

https://www.equipnet.com/auctions/labconco-corporation-xpert-balance-enclosure-with-filtermate-portable-exhau_listid_583784/

Let me know what you guys think.

-Josh Levin

Re the fume hood - that hood appears to use a sort of vacuum device, I presume, as it vents into a box with a filter. I would guess it scavenges microparticles and organic compounds. Would you rather have something that vents to the outside? Some experiments take days. You might have concerns with adequate filtration or exhaustion of the filter element.

OTOH, for pretty cheap with DMS resources, one could build an excellent large hood at DMS with a vent to the outside.

But, yes, a fume hood would be great. We need to get back to our thoughts on organic chem lab resources and that’s a top item.

Interesting. I just put a post up an hour ago that had probably 6 links, not sure what difficulty is … or maybe I’m lucky.

Its a restriction on new users

2 Likes

We have a fume hood, just not wanting to spend $20k to engineer complete proper venting system for it currently.

2 Likes

You’re correct, it would be a very expensive proposition to get the current hood to proper working order with the venting system/blower/HVAC tie in to the jewelry vent.

Thus my suggestion for a small hood like this with a HEPA filter. The filter itself may only need to be replaced once or twice a year depending upon use. It would allow for small scale organic reactions to be performed in a safe and efficient manner.

Otherwise, we need to get to working on a plan to engineer in a frugal mindset the completion of the current hood.

Any suggestions Lampy?

Yes. It was to have a large amount of activated carbon filtering.

1 Like