Knife Sharpening System for Knife SIG

I bet this has already been discussed. If so, please excuse me and fill me in.

The MakerSpace needs a system for repeatable success. The 2x72 is pretty cool. I would use that over the diamond stone. But repeatable? It requires a high level of expertise from a lot of practice.

At home, I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It is awesome. Great edge. 50% of the time. The other 50% I make it duller :frowning:

These are super intriguing, But I do not know if they would hold up at our Space.

For single sided, I am fine with a roller guide like this and sandpaper on glass or a Japanese whetstone.

We also have a Tormek System. I do not have the details on which.

What do you think?

1 Like

I had the Spyderco Sharpmaker and had similar results. My issue was keeping my blades perfectly vertical.

Then I got rid of it, and go the KME Sharpening system and it changed my world. I love this because you set the angle and the stones do all the work. If it has a flaw, it’s that for long knives you can only sharpen about half before having to move the grip over to do the other half. But getting the exact same grind angle on both sides is fantastic.

https://www.kmesharp.com/kme-knife-sharpening-system--diamond-kit.html

3 Likes

DMS also has a Lansky knife sharpening system with diamond stones. That’s what I use for touch ups. I have one at home as well and I like that one can use it anywhere (I sharpen while sitting on the couch and binge-watching Netflix).

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Lansky-Deluxe-Diamond-System-P157.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzqOVxbHJ3AIVkLfACh20Jw4NEAQYAyABEgLZIfD_BwE

The Tormek is also very good (I have a T3 at home), but takes longer to set up. They make guides for setting specific angles as well.

1 Like

I second the Lansky setup. You can put on a wicked edge with them.

Then you do the RonCo tomato demonstration. :wink:

2 Likes

I think DMS has the tormek sharpener in the wood shop. @wandrson donated it to the best of my knowledge.

1 Like

We have a lot of stones and systems over at the tables next to the woodshop door.

I rehone my hollow ground blades on them.

1 Like

I would LOVE to take a knife sharpening class…(I know that is not what the original thread is actually about, but…)

1 Like

Rich, this is the thread you are looking for:

1 Like

In 40+ years of sharpening I have this to say - using anything powered to sharpen a blade on a knife is like using a sledgehammer to pound in a finishing nail… don’t do it…

Powered equipment is for bulk stock removal and shaping - NOT sharpening…

I HIGHLY recommend the block with the porcelain rods as the best tool for the job and what I almost always use myself.

My next choice would be the honing guide and a good stone - but from experience, you won’t use something like that to quickly touch up a blade - it’ll end up collecting dust in a drawer til you give it away or your heirs give it away…

3 Likes

FYI - I’ve posted a knife sharpening class Sunday, Aug 5 - 1 PM

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Turn-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW0E/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1533083982&sr=1-14&keywords=knife+sharpener

Thats the knife sharpener I’d recommend as your best value.

2 Likes

That is very similar to the Spyderco, and much more affordable. It will be great to give my brothers as gifts.

1 Like

We’ve got ceramic resin and a woodshop… diamond rods would be a bit tricky

1 Like