Knife / Hatchet / Shirken Target Out Back

Hey folks, if you didn’t know, we have a 4 foot by 6 foot knife target out back. So if you have a set, or some other sharp thing you’d like to test out, bring it up. Or if you’re interested in learning how to throw knives, let me know. It’s very cathartic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

This is one of the things I’m going to announce tonight …

1 Like

Good job on it BTW … it is great fun … are you planning on teaching a knife making class?

1 Like

I’m only a novice at it at this point, and that machine can cut them out a lot faster than I can grind them out, just have to learn how to use it. I do have a few designs in mind and I’ve been researching regulation style knives.

Fun!

When I was a kid I used to make throwing stars out of these:

I’d cut them out with a small set of bolt cutters, flatten them with a hammer, then sharpen them with a file.

3 Likes

Sounds about as safe as lawn darts, at least one story with those ends in stitches for someone right?

No, but 3 years later when mom was going to sell the house she wasn’t happy with all the little holes in the exterior garage wall. :smiley:

3 Likes

Impressive, I’ve sliced the crap out of my finger a couple times on one of those mod free :dizzy_face:

@Nate - Hatchets, blades, and stars can be dangerous to use let-alone throw. A lot of throwing knife makers use sharp knives, but you only really need a sharp tip. For the knives I use I’ve taken all the edges off the sides to avoid cuts and such when you’re throwing. Also for the class there will be some basic safety equipment. You’ll be required to wear closed toe shoes and preferably something thick. You’ll also need long sleeved pants. The blade will not come back at you if thrown correctly but I’ll go over that in the class. Typically if it does reflect off the target, it goes to the left or the right. We’ll also have barriers set up to avoid that.

Hey @eric2122! This is Matthew, we threw knives on Wednesday (with Heather, Anthony, and Pasha).

It’s fun. He knows his shit. But take the advice on not flicking your shoulder seriously, my neck was sore the next day. I’d like to try shurikens sometime…

2 Likes

Yeah, I threw a few wirh Kris the other day. I threw years ago but long since forgotten everything. The lawn dart comment was 100% about the bolt cutter conduit box ninja stars

Oh yeah! I think I took a picture after she got 6 direct hits in a row. I’ll find it later.

1 Like