Jump ring mandrels

Does small metals have any mandrels or jigs to make jump rings for chainmail etc? I know there’s an ongoing chainmail class but they may prepare or buy all their jump rings separately

I asked and was told they do not. Sounds like the ye old method of coiling wire on a dowel rod using a cordless drill is the way to go. Or shop at theringlord.com.

1 Like

“You mean the Lord of The Ri-”

“SHHHH YOU’LL GET ME SUED, I’M ALREADY ON THIN ICE!”

3 Likes

One lawsuit to rule them all…

3 Likes

…and in the court system fine them.

1 Like

Ok good to know thanks

While not in small metals, things I’ve used for jump ring mandrels, both coming in a wide range of sizes:

Long stretches, aluminum knitting needles work great (DON’T use the ones in fiberarts!! :angry: ) They need to be sacrificial since they can get scratched up and no fun for knitting after that. NOT that I have personal knowledge about using my fiber tools for something it was never intended. (innocent look) :innocent:

Shorter bits, try transfer punches from harbor freight. Cheap for a whole set ($10?) and lots of sizes, can wind several inches at a time, but obviously shorter than knitting needles. While shorter, the steel punches can take more abuse than hollow aluminum knitting needles. If you’re handsawing or using a jump-ring cutting set, these make a good length

1 Like

Actually I think we DO have some metal rods for use in winding jump rings, though I don’t think we had the specific tool sold for making jump rings. I might be wrong about that. Someone had one of those one night and I don’t know if it was a tool of DMS JSM or someone’s personal tool.

1 Like

If the space wanted to get some, might I recommend cold rolled steel rods in a variety of sizes. Many years ago (like 18) @webdevel and I split a set and I still have mine. Plus, unlike wood dowels, the wire coils slide right off the steel.

1 Like

I have a package of punches that I bought at HF for jump Rings

I will drop them off the first time I come to the space

1 Like