It's a digital world all right

Good thing he wasn’t asked to tell time from one of those things that has 12 numbers and 2 dials.

This was posted by a friend who teaches various physics at a local college. I thought you guys could relate to him.

In lab today, there was a point where students had to measure room temperature for a calculation. The following exchange ensued.

Student: “How are we supposed to find room temperature? Use the internet?”
Me: “No. Measure it.”
Student: “How? Do we have a thermometer?”
Me: “Yes. Turn around. The thermometers are behind you.”
Student turns around, then looks back: “Where?”
Me: “They yellow things.”
Student picks one up. “Where’s the display?”
Me, confused: “It’s a thermometer. Read the temperature by where the top of the fluid is.”
Student: “Huh? But where are the digits?”
Me, more confused: “The temperatures are written on the glass.”
Student: “But, it isn’t digital. How do you read it.”
Me, just staring at the student trying to think of something to say other than what I was thinking.

This is a student who wants to be an engineer.

5 Likes

So someone hasn’t happened to been exposed to a particular type of device before and requires being shown how to use it… hilarious.

5 Likes

He probably cannot dial a rotary phone either?

2 Likes

I’m sure we’ve all encountered old technology or methods that we’ve not recognized or never used. I’ve never used a slide rule. I got hasty instruction in - and have since forgotten - how to use vernier calipers.

Insofar as the subject of the passage it’s entirely possible that they’ve encountered precious few analog instruments. Digital thermometers were a commonplace thing in the late 80s for every from measuring air temperature, oven temperature, body temperature. DMMs, bathroom scales, home weather stations, clocks for similarly as long. More recently: digital calipers, laser “tape measures”.

Toss in overly cautious helicopter parenting and odds are depressingly high they’ve rarely had … uncurated … experiences nor been allowed the risk of being around power tools, labs, shop floors, etc.

5 Likes

you’re right. and they probably don’t know cursive writing either. :grin:

2 Likes

Hand that engineer wanna be a Simpson 260 - analog standard of the day.
Duh…what’s with the mirror on the scale?

Printed signature. Nothing unique/artistic. Easier to forge.
Sad

1 Like

And mocking someone wanting to learn behind their back for it too.

3 Likes

Here you go @artg_dms

5 Likes

heck yeah! very useful indeed

Scrollbar. Slider. Rotary knob. That Price-is-Right wheel in iOS. Progress bar. The person has been exposed to digital versions of analog instruments since birth. If the story is reasonably accurate the student suffers from a lack of motivation instead of a lack of experience. (I’ve crossed paths with such people more than once. It’s not a millennial thing. {Though that reaction to such situations does seem uniquely millennial })

2 Likes

That’s also a possibility. But the entire passage reeks of two things to me:

• The age-old tradition of ragging on upcoming generations
  • Someone being put on the spot and predictably failing to pull a rabbit from a hat

As a tail-end X’er I heard variations all of the same claptrap from my parent’s and grandparent’s generation 15-20 years ago as we entered the workforce. Thankfully much of that was pre internet ubiquity, pre digital permanence, and pre widespread awareness of demographic generations so it wasn’t the widespread echo chamber that ragging on Millennials has become.

4 Likes

Cannot make this stuff up…

1 Like

semi-related: I was a bit disappointed that I could not find old-school (dial) calipers in the drawers in machine shop. Every one I found was digital.

All the good calipers have been either broken or stolen. We will replace some but they won’t be the same quality

Don’t tell me the Mitutoyo’s are gone now too? I don’t want to have to bring mine.

One is still there but not in good shape

We do still have the Fowler 6” Dial. The 12” Mitutoyo’s are dial as well. The metric dial caliper disappeared & this is found in its place.

Wonder if anyone sells replacement battery covers for those things.

I don’t know about sell, but…
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/a-small-gift-for-all-members-of-the-dallas-makerspace/30632?u=jast

1 Like

If it weren’t so sad it would be funny.

May all of you Mitutoyo’s be replaced with Pittsburgh’s.

1 Like