Is this thing public?

I didnt get asked to verify my membership when I signed in.

Yup

Yes. Currently all categories are publically viewable and registration is open to anyone.

What’s the plan for taking people from “new user” to “user level 1” (guessing that gets renamed later?)?

That happens automatically once they have completed certain actions. See the Trust Levels documentation for specifics.

2 Likes

So we need to keep posting until our trust level go’s up

No, you need to read the sticky. Spamming out replies is not the requirement.

For Trust Level 1 you need to:

• view at least 5 topics
  • reading at least 30 posts
  • spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
1 Like

The levels actually seem fairly reasonable to me, with the exception of the “like” BS. That needs to go away.

2 Likes

I’m worried about people needing to be “level 2” to start topics via email per this thread:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/enabling-submit-topic-via-email/34/5?u=kentamanos

Level 2 appears to take 15 days and I don’t think most of our members have that kind of patience.

As level 1 you still have the option to start a new topic via the webUI correct? (pseudo rhetorical since I’m pretty sure I did this very thing last night) So there is an option available, should they choose to use it.

IMO, I think we’ll hear a lot of complaints if it’s not available from day one with good email integration (or alternatively it’ll be ignored). I don’t mind forums at all, but many won’t accept anything they can’t get to via email.

Whether or not we can send out that many email notifications etc. is a whole different matter :slight_smile:

I just attempted to ‘email-in’ a new topic…I think it must have ended up in Ralph’s car cause I can’t find it anywhere.

3 Likes

Anyone who is has the level of Basic (trust level 1) can post via e-mail, I updated the settings last night.

See the badges page or the sticky for more info on trust levels.

Are there plans for making this private? The Google Groups were private so people could share things like the Wi-Fi passwords, dumpster lock combination, plans for when they’ll be at the space, or other information you might not want public. If it’s going to stay public it should be very clear that it’s public. End rant, everything else about Discourse seems very nice!

1 Like

The Google Groups were not actually all that private. Anyone could sign-up and weren’t always verified as active, additionally old members were never removed.

I’m new here, Hello to you and all, just wanted to say that I agree with you. All else aside, personal safety extends beyond the equipment. I too would like this forum to be private. Any reasonable SEO will handle promoting of DMS. Have a great day. -Bill

There’s a members only section that is “private” in a sense. I think a few other categories are members only like infrastructure but otherwise everything is public. So far it has worked out reasonably well.