Is there such a thing as personal training or mentoring in lieu of classes?

So I’m fairly new here, only for a few months, and the only classes I see with any frequency are laser basics and wood-shop basics. For another category (say leather-working which I would also like to look into) there are only a few classes available and they usually fall on days I work.

Is it possible to request some level of mentoring on protocol, safe tool use, practice, etc. to be able to at least get started?

4 Likes

I’ve found it useful to find out who is knowledgeable on what it is I’m interested in but either classes are sporadic or don’t match my schedule, then talk to them. In one case, they’d had interest from another couple folks as well, so they put together a class at a time where we all could do it.

In another couple cases, I got in the basics class but need mentorship, so found out who was knowledgeable and receptive to getting pestered with beginner questions :slight_smile: and kinda when they tend to be at the space and show up then too, or actually communicate/coordinate, when they plan on coming but would be flexible to help mentor as well. I try to also do as much independent knowledge building (YouTube videos, Internet sites) so that when I have a project and a go-to person, I can make the most of our time.

Depending on subject, SIG meetings (special interest groups) are good to make connections at. You mentioned leather. It’s got a monthly SIG. There’s others (I schedule a Fiberarts SIG 1-2x month). And look and see who is teaching classes in your area of interest and track down those teachers. They can give you a nudge in the right direction.

Also just ask here on Talk who to contact with what subject and someone will know. Also you’ll start finding a few go-to folks that have been around a long time that usually know who to start with on a subject. Also on the committee lists, there’s the chairs that will be a good start and know who might be good in what or what their schedule tends to be.

I’ve been at DMS about 1.5 years and it took awhile to figure out how to navigate. Main thing is just don’t be shy about asking around. Most folks are super helpful and if they don’t know, they might can give a push in the right direction. And be patient and don’t get in a hurry, because it can take awhile to ferret out information, then coordinate with folks that have inclination and similar schedules.

In the meantime, the best advice is just spend time at the space getting to know folks. The rest will follow once you start asking around. Now that I know a few folks, plus posting here on Talk, I can usually get help, answers, mentorship, etc in a few days of checking around.

3 Likes

One other thing, if your interest is in areas that having training required tools for independent usage (woodshop, metals, leather, etc most areas have something), be sure to get at least qualified on those so that when you want to build knowledge or run across a mentor, the basic qualifications are not an impediment.

Most critical training required areas (i.e. woodshop) have multiple opportunities to catch those classes. If they never ever fit with your schedule, contact the instructor or committee chair and maybe they can put together an alternately scheduled class

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Are there any Leather classes coming up soon?

As an instructor of a couple of things, feedback on when folks would be available for classes is very helpful. Classes may not be scheduled because there’s no clear way to tell when people are available and/or interested. And, a few classes that don’t make, and the instructors may think that there’s no interest in their subject.

I went to see if you could get my email from the event, and it doesn’t appear that you can. You can see the instructor names, and you could post a message here in Talk asking them to contact you.

4 Likes

@clayoden ~ this is a great question; and, there are some great responses so far! :dms: :smiley:

To reiterate/add, here are some things to keep in mind:

1. The training requirements for any tool that requires training is up to the current chairperson of the committee that the tool falls under.

• Most tools that require training (either currently or in the near future will) have standardized training with several members authorized to provide the training. Examples: Laser Basics and 3D Printers.
  • Most of these trainers prefer to hold classes for the training for time management purposes and/or to be able to receive an honorarium for the class.
  • Some of these trainers are willing to provide a “one on one” or small group training on occasion if a member is not able to make any class times offered.
  • Some tools have standardized classes that take several hours to complete. Those tools do not offer “one on one” training. Examples: Woodshop Basics and MultiCAM CNC Router.
  • A few tools rarely have scheduled “classes”; but, have authorized trainers who are generally open to setting up dates/times to meet with members to show them how to use the tools. Examples: Auto Lift and Button Maker.
  • Some tools pretty much only have training scheduled when members have shown interest and when trainers are available. Examples: Welding equipment and Shapeoko
  • Some tools do not require training; but, training is often offered.

[color=red]Even if you have already attended the required training or if training is not required on a particular tool, if you are not 100% sure how to use a tool PLEASE ask how to use it and/or seek additional training. Thanks![/color]

2. There are several ways to determine whether training is already scheduled / available, and to request training if not already scheduled.

• Check our Events Calendar: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org
  • You can filter the calendar by: “Type”, “Category” or “Tool”
  • You can also “search” the calendar using Google’s site search with applicable keywords. Example: Typing the following into a Google search box: [color=greennavy]site:https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org leather[/color] - will pull up results that will include all previous and current classes listed with our current calendar system with the word “leather” in the listing.
  • Check our TALK forums
  • The easiest way would be to “search” TALK using the search function near the top right corner of the browser, then sorting the results by “Latest Post”
  • You can also “search” TALK using the Google search mentioned above for the calendar - simply replacing ‘calendar’ with ‘talk’. Example: [color=greennavy]site:https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org leather[/color]
  • If you aren’t sure what you want to search for, you can always “browse” the various categories on TALK. There are a few different ways to get to the category view - depending on your browser (computer vs phone, etc…).
  • If, after checking all the resources above, you are not able to find any upcoming classes for a tool that you want to learn how to use, then open a new thread under the appropriate category to show your interest.
  • If you have specific scheduling considerations (you can only come to the 'Space on certain days or the week or certain hours during a day/night, etc…), please include that information on your post.

3. Please keep in mind that we are an all volunteer community, and always show courtesy and respect toward trainers’ personal time at the 'Space. While many of us are willing to give “one-on-one” training on tools that do not require organized class training, we also enjoy being able to Enoy the 'Space for our own projects as well.

[color=green]PROTIP: If someone is wearing headphones/earbuds (especially if they are “obviously” not plugged in :joy:) - please do not disturb them.[/color] While they may be listening to something and not want to disturb others in the area, there is also a very real chance that they are trying to focus on work and do not wish to be disturbed. :wink: :smiley:

4. Once you become proficient in using a tool - especially if it is one that does not have many members authorized to provide training (yet), please consider reaching out to the current chairperson of the committee where the tool is located to see if they will authorize you to begin offering training. :dms: :bulb:

3 Likes