Is there any venue for semi-private space at DMS

I joined Dallas Maker Space, primarily, because it provides a great venue for starting my small business. Beefy WiFi, printer/scanner, etc.

The one thing I’ve been having trouble with is finding a private or semi-private spot to make phone calls. Much of the time, I can do most of my work on-line, and can work quietly, but I also have periods of time that I need to make phone calls. There’s not been a good place I can find that works out for me, or the people around me.

Evidently, there’s a way to reserve a classroom, but I haven’t found it yet, nor have I figured out how to know if I’m intruding on someone else’s reserved time. I don’t where the reservations tab is, nor a way to see which classroom is reserved at which time. Plus, I’m just one guy, so I don’t need to reserve a whole classroom just to make some calls.

Would love some input from the experienced DMS folks about this. It’s my understanding that the design and layout for the expansion has been finalized, but I’m certainly willing to get involved, if there’s a way to carve out a niche, and build some kind of semi-private cubicles.

Thanks for any input.

1 Like

Classes are posted at calendar.dallasmakerspace.org

Yes, I see the calendar, but I don’t see reserved classrooms. And how do I reserve a classroom if that’s the calendar to use?

Then I think you joined for the wrong reasons. There are businesses that offer co-working space to do exactly what you describe. Saws, grinders, routers, compressors, these things are not for making a phone call in a quiet room, they’re for making stuff. If people happen to be able to work out of the space then that’s a perk for them but I don’t think the organization should go down the path of trying to be a co-working location.

21 Likes

In the Event Cal click on the “more info” button and a page w/ the room and time come up.
Don’t think you can reserve a classroom for this kind of personal use - will probably be rejected by the class auditors.
Classrooms are in high demand for classes.

1 Like

So for example you’re at the space and want to reserve a vacant room right now to make some calls? Calendar system isn’t set up like that - takes something like 48 hours for events to publish, and the intent is that they be things that benefit the community at large.

EDIT: I don’t intend to discourage the OP @Rural_Land_Watch; just want to point out the structure of the organization. As a curious combination educational non-profit / community workshop, we have existential incentive to prioritize education and community usage of the facility. We have considered things like studios and co-working slots, but the general consensus seems to be that would be an unsustainable burden for our volunteer organization to shoulder and possibly do some interesting things to the culture.

7 Likes

The only private place i know of at the space is the bathroom. Everywhere else is open for anyone to join

5 Likes

several co-working spaces are around town

2 Likes

Technically those are private either, atleast the ones with multiple stalls :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have to agree with @lukeiamyourfather
Makerspace is not an office/co-working space. If you are wanting to make things you are at the right space, if you want to use wifi and the printers to run a small business/office, that is not what DMS is about.

8 Likes

Honestly, the best place to make a private phone call near the space is in your car/truck…

8 Likes

If you’re here during the day, chances are that nobody is using the classrooms. Check the calendar to see if the room you’re interested in is going to be officially used any time soon. I see folks shutting the doors on Purple to get some privacy. If it’s not the bookkeeper’s days, the Conference room is handy. Maybe Lecture Hall… Interactive is kinda big for the purpose, but could be used. A closed door doesn’t guarantee privacy, as others in search of privacy may check the space.

Does that help at all? Oh, and the Unisex bathroom locks, although the big people that find that the only one to be big enough will be peeved at you. Save that for short calls only.

Maybe Hatcher’s? No one goes in there.:disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

No one works in there as it is too small.
We will be using it as storage for the new tools we are getting, however…

2 Likes