Is our project storage approach working?

Any opinions on if the current approach to managing project storage is working? It appears that roughly 1/5 of project storage shelving is being used by committees and overall utilization seems to constantly be 100%. Can anyone release anonymized data from the ticket system to see how many unique members are able to use project storage recently?

Any ideas on different approaches that would create a system that had more availability?

1 Like

Short answer is probably not.
Why?
People share their storage slots under one name.
I have 2 other people in my slot and occasionally others.
Won’t show up in any database scouring.

Sharing is allowed and encouraged. We are a community after all.

The one who from my understandings who would best be the person who developed the script/maintains it is currently on leave since his brother is in the hospital. I’m sure bill can answer any and all your questions once he gets back

Remember we are expanding which means more space to store stuff coming soon.

1 Like

Additionally lots of us use the tickets generated to mark hardware etc that is out on tables, or provide info for taping to downed equipment

1 Like

Sharing seems like a way for a group of people to perpetually squat on the same spot (unless someone is paying attention to what’s on each shelf each month). Just rotate who’s name is on the card. If lots of people are sharing it sounds like more smaller spots would be an effective use of space and it would help track individual use.

2 Likes

I haven t been hearing a lot of complaints, but then I am not active
]in woodshop

Is it active project storage or “project” storage? My garage is full of the latter, for example, some projects started 10y ago.

1 Like

I would expect that a good portion of this may be eliminated within the next few months. There is a lot of ‘store it now for our expansion’ stuff that’s crammed into nooks and crannies (and on shelves) that I’d expect will be cleared off with the expansion. Not a full answer to your question, but covers a portion…

3 Likes

@Kriskat30 What has your experience managing project storage been so far? How did offsiteing go this month?

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/logistics-workday-canceled/42438

Don’t think it’s been rescheduled.
What’s your point?

1 Like