Intermediate Knitters: interest in a Toe Up Socks series?

Any interest in a series (4 classes over an 8 week period) for knitting vanilla, toe-up socks?
There would be homework between classes, sorry, but its relatively easy knitting as homework, at least.

Students would have to know how to knit, purl, increase, decrease, and knit in the round prior to class 1, and commit to all the classes, especially if the classes used the kits described below.

However, knowledge of sock construction techniques is not necessary.

Potentially, students would be supplied with a kit to keep that includes: 1 set of DPNs, a skein of self-micro-striping, fingering weight sock yarn (80-85% superwash merino, 20-15% nylon), and a stitch marker.

Or if all the students already own the kit components (or most of them) there would just be a required class supplies list, like in Elementary school.
Do bear in mind that the class would be taught from a “single sock on 4-5 DPNs” method.

Why is this 4 classes?
No one, unless they’re Barry Allen or own a circular sock machine, can hand knit a grown adult’s sock in a one time class.

Class 1: Casting on the Toe.
How to measure the foot for a custom fit sock; Seamless cast on; Increasing; How to use the toe as your gauge swatch for width and length.
Homework: Finish toe if needed, knit foot.

Class 2 (about 2 weeks after class 1): Heels.
Basic flap & gusset for a Toe Up Sock; Discussion of other heel options (Peasant/Afterthought/Forethought, Fish Lips Kiss, etc); Determining how tall to make the leg (anklet, crew, dress, knee).
Homework: Finish heel if needed, knit leg. Begin cuff if feeling brave.

Class 3 (about 2 weeks after class 2): Cuffs + Bind off
Why ribbing choice matters (1x1 vs 2x2 vs 1x2, vs 4x4, etc); Stretchy bind off (and why/why not to bind off in rib pattern).
Homework: Finish Cuff, bind off.

Class 4 (about 2 weeks after class 3): Second Sock Syndrome + Troubleshooting
How to make your second sock look like the first one; avoiding “Second Sock Syndrome”; Finishing; Care for your custom tailored socks; Troubleshooting.
Homework (but not really): Knit the second sock and post pictures. Knit a box full of warm, woolly socks for the 3 days it gets cold here.

3 Likes

My wife would be interested in a 2 sock at once method class or a complicated cable pattern… this is foreign language to me.

1 Like

I’d be interested if it fit with my schedule.

I knit just enough to be dangerous and can refresh things ahead of time.

I’ve actually taken a class before and knit ONE sock. Ages ago. I’d love to do a pair for realsies. I’ve got oodles of sockweight handspun that I’d love to use.

#secondsocksyndromeisreal

[edit to add]

Ok, I’m interested, but upon further thought, once the sock class giddiness faded, I’m realizing I would need a TARDIS to make it work in the next few months. 4 classes are realistic, but between that and homework (also critical)…oy. Not enough hours in the day. :expressionless: If you do it this summer, I’m in.

I’m interested depending on schedule for myself. Although some things I may have to “refresh” myself on. Technically I don’t know how to knit in the round yet but I’m sure I could figure it out!

I know a little of Linda and her knitting skills, she’s very good and I would recommend this class.

1 Like

I’d love to come if I’m available as well. I have a lot of experience knitting and it’s kind of my main “thing” but I’ve never gotten into the more advanced techniques (including socks).

Super! I don’t do either of those things, but I’ll pass along the info to the fiber arts group.

I’m interested! Depending on day/time