Interested in teaching TIG welding, possibly MIG

Hi, I looked on the DMS website and I wasn’t sure on the exact process for being an instructor? There is the “Teach” section but I didn’t know if it covered being an instructor for an existing class.

I’ve been TIG welding for over 6 years and MIG for over 4 years. I saw that there is a shortage of welding instructors and I didn’t know who in the metal shop I would need to talk to about teaching at least the introductory welding classes.

3 Likes

@malcolmputer has a few others coming to his class on the 11th to observe for teaching. You should start there.

Edit: It looks like its not quite up on the calendar yet.

1 Like

I added the two-part welding/safety class for Sunday the 11th from 2 until 5. There will be two others there interested in learning to teach, so feel free to come by and join the crew. If you aren’t DMS approved on the equipment then please sign up for the class so you can get approved.

1 Like

Signed up for it.

1 Like

I see the MIG class on Thursday 7p - 9p. Can we use that was for observing too?

I’m not teaching that class, you’ll have to ask the instructor @brsims

I’d prefer if I’m going to be the person to vouch that you can teach the class that you sit in on one of mine, but I’m not the boss on such things.

I’m good with that.

2 Likes

Yay! I have some fake authority lol.

1 Like

@jakewatkins if you can stop by the metal shop meeting & cleanup tomorrow (runs from noon and scheduled up until 5).

there are other things we need teachers for, and I like to meet instructors when I can.

Cheers,
-Jim

2 Likes

I can make it out from noon to ~2+. Have several chores to be taken care of today.

I thought there was something odd about this. I didnt see Jim’s email until this morning (Sunday) and didnt pay attention to the fact that the metal shop meeting was on Saturday.
I’ll be making a few visits to DMS during the week and will be in for Malcum’s class on Sunday. Do we want to setup a ‘train the trainer’ meeting or something before then to disucss some of the other things DMS & the metal shop need? I’m happy to help in whatever way.