Interest check : LED SIG

Any interest of a SIG specifically for LEDs and their respective micro controllers? I know that this should fall under Club Electronica, so maybe this could be a sub group under this committee? I’m not too familiar with the rules about special interest groups, and can’t find anything about setting one up on the wiki. not to take away from @bpamplin 's class, but I’m thinking we could have more of them for going more in depth about controlling these lights. some topics of like to discuss:

• rgb/rgbw/rgbww
  • power supplies, volts, amps, and their nuances
  • pixel blaze, wemos esp32/esp8266, raspberry pi, arduino, teensy controllers
  • neo pixels, wearables, and other Ada fruit led specific products
  • light and color pattern libraries
  • using touch designer to create your own light shows
  • setting up touch designer to run on raspi using windows 10 iot
  • sign design and integration/installation to be used with other projects that used tools from the Space something like this https://youtu.be/OB2dmaRuEzM
  • controlling older, less advanced LEDS (non-rgb, matrix, building digital clocks)

please let me know where I can find out more about building a SIG! also, post below is you’d be interested in learning more about how to control and use LEDS in your projects

3 Likes

@Kevin loves LEDs from what I know of him :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in
asidjaosijosacijioajsioidsja

2 Likes

Do not have any concern about this taking anything from my class. If anything, it will stimulate interest in the subject and attract more students for me. Your list of goals is very interesting. My classes are directed to beginners in electronics/microcontrollers. We talk about the basics, show some program segments, wire up circuits and run several programs. The SIG would provide a next step for those that want to move up. @artg_dms is chair of @Team_Electronics and is your contact to making this happen.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/8743

btw, Kevin dropped into one of my classes. I told the class, “If you want to know a little more about LEDs, ask me. If you want to know a lot more, ask Kevin.” Seeing the picnic table, I think Ben Puig is well on his way to becoming a subject matter expert on the subject.

Brady

4 Likes

I am so interested in this!

2 Likes

rules about special interest groups

TLDR; its the equivalent of a meetup group that’s steps away from turning into a committee but operates without dedicated tools/physical space, budgets, politics, or a requirement to hold classes ( even if the Bylaws doesn’t require committees to hold classes )

Officially:

Interest Groups can be formed to provide a structure for discussion and work on topics which have gained the attention of several people at DMS, but for one reason or another do not justify or need a formal Committee.

– Dallas Makerspace, https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Interest_Groups

General Consensus:

• Typically met regularly over a single topic or project

• Can hold classes, events, or just hang out to work on a project

• Doesn’t get funding by the board, dedicated tools, or physical space but could be sponsored by a committee chair of a related committee

2 Likes

thanks! I think it would be a good idea to have your class as some sort of suggested prerequisite to certain classes of this SIG, unless the member already has a general understanding of electronics, micro controllers, micro computers, and programming. this way, we would be adding to each other’s classes and not stepping on each other’s toes.

1 Like

Interested.

2 Likes

Interested also, I love light and microcontrollers

Should check out the RGB Pixels Facebook group:

1 Like

Read the subject line and thought perhaps this was more about power LEDs for illumination. Got a casual interest in the subject having cobbled together a few lighting fixtures using ~1-3 watt LEDs. I’ve considered a class on the subject, but … time is not something I have a lot of to spare these days.

Here’s my policy for SIGs under the Electronics Committee:
A SIG is a fully autonomous group
The SIG chooses its own leadership and how its structured.
SIG members decide what projects, classes, mtngs, etc. they want to do.
SIG leaders need to keep the Chair updated on activities, etc.
While not mandatory, a rep from the SIG should attend the Electronics Committee mtngs and give a short report on the SIG’s mtngs and activities.
SIG leaders need to contact the Chair when resources/monies/proposals are needed.

Policy is in the works and will be changed as needed.

@nacho Thanks for asking!

2 Likes