Interest check - Foam Helmet/Cowl patterning and construction?

How much interest in classes on creating patterns from scratch for foam based helmets, and a separate class on cutting, gluing, and finishing from an existing pattern?

Also interested in seeing if students would want to buy pre-made supply packs for the classes (styrofoam head, tinfoil, tape, blank plastic mask, & TNT Cosplay Supplies foam, contact cement, latex caulk).

1 Like

Definitely interested, schedule permitting. :slight_smile:

I have two boxes of soft foam head forms in 4 sizes, they are cloth covered and more the millinery style head block shape type, e.g. no faces. Once we move and there is space for them I intended to offer to donate one set to Cosplay.

If needed for the class, let me know.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m sure CA/Cosplay would love them. That said, they aren’t appropriate to use with my class since you are cutting into the form with an exacto blade to remove the pattern.

1 Like

I’m interested

Also, is there a way that we could make casts of the heads out of plaster or something? Like how you make budget dress dummies

Something try: Try Vacuum forming two halves to make a casting mold. Not sure how soft the the plastic would need to be to not deform these. With the molds you could make them out plaster or expanding form.

Could wrap them in plastic then make duct tape form and cut it off.

Between the heat of nearly melted plastic and undercuts, I would go the route of silicon mold with plaster backing. Could fill with plastic, expanding foam, or clay. Might be fun to pop out clay heads and teach sculpting classes. If only there was someone who taught sculpting classes.

Hahahaha if only we knew someone who did that.

As someone who very much wants to learn, I figured I’d toss that out there…

1 Like