INTEREST CHECK - class on how to sharpen knives

interested, just bought a sharpener and not particularly happy with how it has sharpened my chef’s knife.

Me
And some words
:blankspace:

I can lend some time/expertise/tools to the cause, if you need. I’ve got a water-cooled Tormek bench grinder (really best for woodworking tools, though), Arkansas stones, a 250/1000 Japanese water stone, a Worksharp Ken Onion, a kitchen steel, and a set of Spyderco fine stones suitable to touching up serrated knives for those looking to take on a more advanced skillset.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested in this class.

Interested as well, got a good deal on a starter Japanese water stone awhile ago, after many disappointing attempts I packed it in and sold it to a friend.

Yes Axel, please.

For a separate discussion, I would like us to invest a good sharpening system for repeatable success. There are several. I should start that thread now.

Done.

Count me in. Would like to put a good and lasting edge on a Forschner butcher knife.

Yes I surely would be…

I would be interested!

From one Eagle Scout to another… I’d be interested…

Very interested. Using whetstones is a skill that has evaded me and I end up with rounded blades.

@StanSimmons - Please add in an event calendar event classification of Hatchers Armory.

First class will be this Sunday August 5th @ 1 PM - Purple classroom.

10 seats open now.

I will bring my stones and my own porcelain rod block and would ask any who have them to bring in theirs as well along with your dull knives.

I’ll put another class on the calendar in the near future - give me some replies on days and times you’d want to see a class - I can do most week nights and weekends, typically.

2 Likes

Done. :blankspace: :blankspace:

If you need some VERY dull knives to sharpen, there is a drawer full of them in the kitchen.

2 Likes

Are they the kind of quality I associate with shared kitchens? If so I might just show up with my Worksharp in as a separate task because it makes crappy stainless a breeze to resurrect from the dead.

1 Like

Yep, there isn’t a “good” knife in the drawer.

Here is the event link:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/7122

Due to unexpected travel delay I won’t be able to attend the inaugural knife sharpening class. I just cancelled my RSVP, so now there’s an open spot.

Let me know when you plan to do this class again.

3 Likes

Just attended the first class and it was excellent! Axel has lots of good advice. Don’t spend money on sharpening gear until you hear his advice.

6 Likes

Thanks - it was a good group of people. Give me any tips you may have to make the next one better.

6 Likes