Important Note for Multicam Users

The reconfiguration of the Multicam was completed today. It has new and different features that should eliminate the need for screws being driven into the spoilboard.

Summary of work accomplished in the past 10 days:
Identified the performance problem on the Republic Vacuum Blower (bad seal, inboard side of blower)
Recalibrated the vacuum relief valve to achieve maximum vacuum performance for the blower
Converted the previous vacuum distribution system below the spoilboard to a more efficient plenum design.
Separated the spoilboard into six 30"x40" zones, each with an independent vacuum source
Sealed the spoilboard zones to the vacuum distribution plenum
Installed a vacuum supply valve to each individual zone
Extended the vacuum valve handles to the front of the table for easy access.
Obtained 30" wide rolls of plastic coated freezer paper to use as a vacuum mask when necessary.
Surfaced the spoilboard.

So, screws are not needed on the table. They are not wanted either!

The available vacuum holddown force is now at excellent levels. By closing idle zones and using freezer paper to cover unused areas of active zones, high vacuum levels can be achieved and focused on the part(s) you are needing to hold down. Only small items, very slick items, or items that do not have a flat bottom surface should need anything beyond table vacuum.

Should you have one of the harder to hold items listed, please take approaches such as:
Use double sided carpet tape or equivalent (there is some in the blue bucket under the table)
Screw your work to a separate board that is larger and flatter than your item. Hold that down with vacuum
Put masking or blue tape on the table and on the bottom of your work. Then use CA (instant) glue on the tape surfaces
For a sheet of ply that is mostly flat, but is warped upward at a corner: try carpet tape or tape & glue.
Google for other ideas!

Did I mention … no screws into the spoilboard? Just wanted to be sure! It’s not just that the screws will damage the spoilboard … they will also damage the vacuum plenum underneath … much harder to repair/replace.

Lots of Makers have put elbow grease into this project and the result is a far better CNC router for all to use. Thanks to those who helped, apologies to those who had to work around our activity or reschedule your Multicam work. I am confident you find it a better machine when next you have opportunity to use.

AND let me or another member of the Multicam SIG know how it works for you and about any problems or suggestions you would like us to address.

20 Likes

Wow, great info!

But what if some MultiCam users don’t get this message?

For things of this magnitude, and nothing less, it would be nice if all MultiCam users could get an email about it.

1 Like

Really impressed with all of this.

Note: A lot of people may not read this. And a lot of multicam users are used to using screws. Is there any signage?

1 Like

They will. Just haven’t gotten to that yet. Should be early this week.

Sharpie notes on the table. Emails and videos coming soon.

6 Likes

What are we awarding to the first person (and second… third) that inevitably screw (see what I did there?) this up?

2 Likes

The official Habits Die Hard Award?
Or encourage them to fund an elbow bending celebration for the members of Multicam SIG who helped with this?

1 Like

Please take the time to watch!!!

Here is the update on the recent changes to the Multicam. If you are a user, this is a must watch to understand changes to the spoilboards and hold down. https://youtu.be/o-sNPIZbaK8

A second video detailing a couple other alternative hold down options can be found at https://youtu.be/uV3thBJgTx0 .

A huge thank you to Bert for leadership on this important issue!

7 Likes

@Team_Moderators

Could we pin this for a week or so??

2 Likes

This is awesome. Should be required watching before the Multicam pendant will operate.

I believe a post can be pinned globally and/or in its section. I suggest globally for a week or so and within the Woodshop section for much longer.

1 Like

These are great videos, thank you again to everyone involved with the updates!

1 Like

Awesome! Really appreciate the hard work everyone!

Wow! Definitely an excellent definition of the “Be Excellent” motto! Thank you!!!

1 Like

Thank you! Very impressed with the video as well

1 Like

Great job. Thank you for doing all this work to improve the multicam. Very much appreciated.

Still trying to find a way to get the news out to Multicam authorized users who are not Talk participants. To date, only those users trained by Chris Ghaly (@cghaly) have been emailed. Unfortunately, those users will eventually get two of the emails … apologies in advance!

To those who know … please watch for users who don’t and help them out. Remember, it’s your spoilboard, too. Thanks.

Someone suggested this be added to the Wiki … done.

1 Like

There are two categories and two separate Active Directory groups: those who have taken the class and those who have tested out.

I do not know whether you want to notify the much larger former group who cannot currently use the machine.

Consider contacting Stan to pull a list of authorized users from AD.

Good info. Obviously the approved users are the priority. As for contacting Stan, I have done that twice in person and twice by PM. Apparently he hasn’t had time to do it.

1 Like

Even with zone 1 down the vacuum hold down performed like a champ this morning. I was able to use the other 5 zones to hold down an 8’ by 44" dining table for the final flattening of the bottom.
I know the dust boot is just a first prototype but even as it is it worked better than any previous version for slab flattening.
Tha is again to Bert and everyone else who has put in countless hours on this project.

4 Likes