Importance of a Riving Knife

We discuss kickback and riving knives in Woodshop 101 - here’s a “safety” video of a guy showing what not to do. The crazy thing is he wasn’t doing this on a SawStop and is lucky to still have all his fingers.

4 Likes

This guy tries to be helpful and show what happens when a router and tablesaw kick back, realizes he almost maimed himself.

Not to go all conspiracy theory here… but I have been seeing this video pop up everywhere today. Its a 7 year old video, and pretty well known. Just seems coincidental it is “top news” on so many sites the day before Sawstop raises their prices.

4 Likes

I saw it on Reddit this morning. 7 years old? I wonder how many fingers that guy has left!

1 Like

This is the kind of conspiracy theory i like!

Is there an echo in here?

1 Like

hahahaha oh man sorry, I didn’t see that!

edit: @Team_Moderators if you want to combine this thread with the earlier one I’m cool with that. Precedence and whatnot.

1 Like

I have an older Jet cabinet saw. I wonder if there is someone who could point me in the right direction to install a riving knife. I don’t have one now and seldom use the saw because of that. Thanks for any assistance.

I don’t think riving knives can be installed aftermarket, as they are typically integrated with arbor/trunion mechanism (I might be wrong…).

You’ll probably need to use a splitter:

Thanks for the feedback. What have you been up to?

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]

I am taking some time off to work/focus on my music. I was in a garage band in high school, “The Pimples”. We were sort or to a fusion jazz + death metal combination. We covered mostly Burl Ives’ songs, but made them enjoyable. I’ve dusted off my ocarina and am getting my wind back and starting to play/write again.

So that, mostly. You?

1 Like

same. tell my mom hi.

2 Likes

You might not want to post this info on a forum like this. You should use direct messaging. Crawlers will pick it up and you will be added to every mail, e-mail, and call list under the sun.

1 Like

It may be too late (12 hours or so) but you should probably change your signature so that your phone number and email are not plain text to protect yourself from spam-creating web crawlers. (edit: like @carpa said :-))

Do you know how?

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]

Step 1 - figure out where your signature that contains all that personal info is coming from.

Step 2 - edit it to remove that personal stuff.

Step 3 - hit Save

I can’t find where Talk stores a signature block so I can’t help much beyond that. Maybe you use Discourse in some other website that saves your signature?

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

[email protected]

I see now that your posts have the little email icon “this post arrived via email” -you need to edit your email signature line if you’re gonna post to public forums

2 Likes

There are some videos out there that discuss/show adding a splitter as part of a zero-clearance insert. Stumpy Nubs has a pretty good one (in spite of the name, he does have all of his fingers and they are all the correct length…)

I will watch the videos. I appreciate the feedback.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

[email protected]