Hydraulic press support plates missing and winch repair

does anyone know what happened to the hydraulic press work piece support plates?
also the winch to lower the platform has a slipping worm drive. a previous post mentioned it was replaced in February, perhaps it needs a more robust design?

Also the press needs a little more working space behind it when it is moved to the new space.

A new made in USA winch has been ordered.

Just a note(not intended for you) the press is functional without the winch - it just takes two people to raise or lower the bed to required working height.

No idea where the press plates are - sometimes they are found on the floor need the press.

1 Like

New plates should be ordered. Those had cracks and broken welds.

The may be some steel plates in the Machine Shop Teachers cabinet that could be used to fabricate new ones if the size is right. They are high grade steel. All that would be needed is some plates tack welded underneath so they can’t slide out. No full welds on they would make them soft.

@nicksilva This would be a good use for those plates. They could Plasma cut down to size if needed.

2 Likes

I have a couple of folks willing to cut press plates for various uses.

Not all press actions need a super thick press plate - well not for those of us that know how to use the press.

I know one of the plates has slots. If I recall correctly these are 0.750"-1.000" think, but they like tool steel so they should be strong.

The “sponge/foam” steel that came with the press were so soft a penny embossed they the. If tried on the steel plates … they’d be squished.

I was able to block up the hydraulic scissor jack to lower the platform but never did find the plates.

I have the plates. They are in use and they are also cracked.

Ok, thanks. when will they be back at the press?

Around the same time as the floor grinding gets finished in 102.

where do you have the plates?

Oh now that’s an expansion state secret… only those who have done a little floor grinding shall know the truth. Wink, wink.

1 Like

What are you using the for? And how did they get cracked

Mis-use/abuse/ cheaply built in the press.

Did you look at them wrong? And they broke?

It could be that easy. It is Chineseum after all.

Can you provide me with the measurements of the cut outs? I think we should roll our own. I can get some a572

Why would the automotive chairperson not get to know why his tools & equipment are unusable by members?

I didn’t say they were unusable; I said they were cracked, and I said they were in use. By members.

(No clue how long they’ve been cracked.)

What are you implying here? :smirk: