How to take this off

I’m trying to access the attic in the place in staying in, but have no idea how to safely take this off. Anyone have any advice?

If that is the attic access, normally you just push up on it and move it over. Have you tried that yet? Oh wait… is that a side panel? That might be a vent. Don’t mess with it. Usually, attic access is inside in a hall or closet. (I used to work for SWBell… climbed a lot of attics.

1 Like

Correct, that isn’t for normal access. Check inside the garage or storage.

darnit, that’s what i thought. Unfortunately, there is no attic access to that side of the house, due to how it’s set up. looks like i’ll have to make my own access

1 Like

I have the mental image of you saying that while grabbing a sawzall and walking into a closet.

3 Likes

I mean, that’s not totally inaccurate…

4 Likes

Why not a sword? You can whip out the ol’ Zach-Attack :–)

No-no-no-no. Swords are not designed for effective and neat wood removal. Even axes don’t remove ceilings neatly. Sheesh!!!

1 Like

Axes are good for hacking through the roof to escape from an attic in a severe flood.

1 Like

In such a case, one is not overly concerned about creating a neat opening that can easily have a hatch installed…

2 Likes

Looks like aluminum siding with pop rivets.

One could drill out the heads of the rivets and carefully remove the outer trim pieces, then remove the makeshift soffit vent being used a a “vented panel”. If that person is patient - they could re-use those same pieces for reassembly if needed other than needing new pop rivets.

Eye protection would be a “good idea” as a minimum…based on the shingles I’d suggest being careful working at whatever height it is as well.

1 Like

But it only needs one, right. I know for a fact that some only has one.

There is attic access, just not to the attic on that side of the house

Zachary,

I’m curious…did you gain access to your attic via the mystery vent or by another means? Others may be curious as well.

made my own access inside

2 Likes