How soon do before this

Martian Green? LMAO.

Price is kinda…

1 Like

What’s the over under on them catching fire?

2 Likes

That ‘ooh’ when he says they can customize the binder color depending on what color they choose. Smh. Like that’s the impressive thing they are attempting.

All those delayed clap sessions are so awkward

Edit : also, if he thinks that will fit in a pocket he clearly hasnt worn a pair of women’s pants recently

3 Likes

Or a man’s, just guessing, since the larger version of most current “phones” won’t fit in a “menswear pocket”. Thickness is the part I was specifically wondering about, and this is what I found:

It’s a V1.0 sizzle product to sell the Galaxy S 10 steak that most of the market actually needs.
Or perhaps it’s more of a halo product since unlike non-production concepts you can actually buy this thing.

I gather the folding part is pretty durable - same tech saw 100k folding operations almost a decade ago with no creasing and only a 6% loss in brightness in the region of the fold (you would need instruments to tell the difference). Such a product genre could fit between the present market for giant phones and small tablets, eliminating the need for some to carry the latter.

As a V1.0 product it’s expensive and clunky. This is likely to change as the manufacturers gain experience with it and refine the concept. Not in the market myself - and certainly not at that price - but I look forward to seeing how the technology evolves.

Maybe they’re assuming that you’ll be wearing cargo pants???

If they can get the price down, they may have a market as a tablet which folds shut for transport and storage. Current tablets beg for a cover or sleeve for protection.

1 Like

A Z-folding device would be interesting - the outer third could be the phone/quick-access screen.

So speaking of folding displays, Huawei looks to have a different take:

The hinge mechanism looks to have a clever method of keeping tension on the display so it both stays flat when opened and curves smoothly when closed. Because the halves are asymmetric, the backside has as prominent hump running the height of the device which provides something to hold when the thing is opened and might have a latch to keep it closed when folded. Since the folding display must be made of plastic I foresee land office business in screen protectors to soak up the inevitable abuse an unprotected screen would otherwise take.

2 Likes

The Samsung review units are failing prematurely in the field.

1 Like

Maybe these will make a comeback and we can all fit them in our pockets:

4 Likes

How’d you get a picture of me in high school???

4 Likes

True story, until a few years ago I still had the bowling shirt the guy on the end is wearing. And I would argue I wore the look better, I had a wallet chain with a fuzzy tiger print wallet on the end!

Maybe it’s time to post an interest check for a jnco sewing class? :wink:

1 Like

this look really awesome, but I’m thinking it will be 3-4 generations down the road before all the kinks are worked out.

And what’s up with the guy mimicking Steve Jobs? I thought that was tacky.

Not soon…

iFixit has … obtained … a Galaxy Fold and subjected it to a teardown. In my eyes the current iteration of this phone is an internal prototype that Samsung has bafflingly chosen to release to the wild rather than refine into a more production-ready product.

1 Like

… And Samsung, ignorant of the Streisand Effect has demanded that iFixit take down their teardown. Of course, the internet never forgives and especially never forgets.

2 Likes

Wow that looked pretty rough inside even for a prototype. No wonder they pretty much immediately failed.

I’ve seen rougher prototypes and demonstrators, but it is surprising that they released such a vulnerable device to the world where anyone with experience designing phones or handling the invariable toolroom prototypes that preceded it would know such failures would occur. Marketing / senior leadership must have pressed to put something out over the objections of those that knew better.

After the Galaxy Note 7 battery fiasco, one would think Samsung would be much more careful before releasing something into the wild…