GM Tech2 Capable Scan Tool

Does anyone have a GM Tech2 capable scan tool they’d be willing to bring to the makerspace and help me program a few key fob remotes on a 2013 GMC truck? I have two OBD2 scan tools but they don’t have the necessary feature, apparently 2011+ cars/trucks from GM require specialized OBD2 scan tool to program new key fob remotes. My Google-foo says it requires a Tech2 capable scan tool. I’m curious how this process works and would like to try it myself or watch someone else do it (also I don’t want to pay the dealer $100). Food or beverage are offered to the gods of OBD2 in return. Maybe @TLAR?

Sounds like a good tool for DMS to own. Have you priced it?

If it is anything like my 02 BMW, which has an encoded RFID chip inside the key, you need a scanner which can read and write the eprom on the disabler in order for the key to work.

The GM Tech2 capable scanners are around $350 from what I’ve found and they go up to $3,000 with fancy interfaces and such. They also do OBD2 which covers most vehicles since 1997. If someone already has one that would be cool. I feel like this is an uncommon use case and we already have a scanner that is OBD2 so it probably isn’t worth purchasing one at this point.

Luke,

I can’t help you there-the only in depth -reprogramming of modules etc - scan tool I have access to (portable to the space) is for Audi & Volkswagen.
Most folks will find that “scanners” that can read and write to modules can be price prohibitive for most automotive enthusiasts.

I actually have a Tech II scanner, and just recently joined the maker space. Only problem is that I don’t really know how to use it that well. If you want to meet up some time, and try it, you are welcome to.

Edit.

Looked up the procedure and it is very straight forward. See link below. If anyone else needs access to the tool, please let me know.

http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-program-your-key-fob-using-tech-ii-53547/

1 Like

I’ve used my Tech2 with '95 but not Corvette, compared to my Tech1 on the same car I did have

some contradictory comparisons that I couldn’t explain. I don’t recall them now but it did

confuse me for a time. I put a JY ECM in a '95 ParkAvenue for a fellow to resale and it ran

well so I worried NOT about it.

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

1 Like