Glaze for a Blackboard Effect

I have some projects in mind for the future and would like to incorporate a chalkboard-esque area on them where I can write. What would be a good glaze for this effect? Just a basic flat black?

I think we’ve got Matte Black. However, I’d be more inclined to skip glazing the area that you want to write on, and paint it with a chalkboard paint. I would send it through the glaze kiln, though. That will vitrify the item and make it more durable. If you only want part of it chalk-board, then glaze the rest.

I would try glazing with a black underglaze and skip the clear glaze on top. Try a test tile first - it should look something like a chalk board but I haven’t experimented with actually writing on it with chalk. Matte black might also be an option or just skip glazing that area and paint it with chalkboard paint like dryad2b suggested above. I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it - whether you need microwave safe, non-toxic, dishwasher safe - that should probably determine the method that you use. I would be interested in seeing your results as I have been planning to try a chalkboard effect for teachers’ gifts, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.