Glass Etching of my Carboys

Didin’t know if I should post this in the Science or Creative Arts groups, but wanted to post a couple of pictures of a quick project I just finished up.

I have SEVERAL glass carboys for brewing (hence science) but none of them have any volume markings on them. I’ve tried in the past to use markers, stickers, tape, etc. to mark the volumes, but I finally came around to actually etching the glass.

I first cut a number of stencils on the vinyl cutter with the help of another member. I had filled two of my carboys, one gallon at a time, marking the level at each gallon (yeah, not exact, but close enough for what I’m doing). I stuck on the vinyl stencils and used Armour Etch to eat into the glass surface. I found that it needed a little more than the 1 minute suggested on the bottle… about 4 minutes worked for me.

Cleaned it all off and have nicely marked carboys now.

5 Likes

It would fit nicely in the Show & Tell.
Thank you for posting, no matter where. Looks great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, but I can’t seem to select that category - isn’t on the list for me :confused:

It’s a thread in a sub-category of PR.

May I move your post into that thread?

2 Likes

That is so cool. I’m trying to get my head around how heavy a glass carboy might be full.

Google.
FTW

3 Likes

Meh. I’m a wimp. It was really a moot question anyway. The guys in my family do the brewing and therefor the carboy schlepping. I help them out with the drinking part. :wink:

Armour etch will work in a pinch, but the same thing can be done very quickly in the sandblaster if you want to make a lot of them…

If they would fit. @_@

Nick Sainz used to etch some pretty cool Mason jars for stylized drinking glasses that way with a vinyl resist.

2 Likes

You can click on the “Categories” link to show you all of the categories and sub-categories available.
The sub-categories show up as text links below the primary category that they are associated with.

Here is a direct link to the category view:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/categories

That being said, the Creative Arts category is a good place to post about it, too!

Very neat idea and it turned out great!

BTW ~ you are more than welcome to copy/cross-post your original post to the Show & Tell thread if you'd like to. Generally we do not encourage cross-posting; however, showing off a neat project in the Show & Tell thread of the month is pretty much a given exception. ;) :D

I’ve etched glass (in the old sand blaster… eek! lol); and, it is really easy to get great results that way, too! :smiley:

:bulb: Just be sure to read over the “Sandblaster Safety and Troubleshooting Tips” thread for some important safety information… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good advice. I have never used it, only read about it.

1 Like

Hi John, I thought there was a full category, but now I see that it’s just a monthly thread. I’ll do a quick cross-post to it since this thread alone is generating a good bit of discussion.

1 Like