Gimmie names of great local parks - needed by Wednesday

Screw it. Let’s try to put together a party.

Needs:

Probably close(ish) to Carrollton area
BBQ pit
Areas to sit
Areas to play
Areas for shenanigans

My picks:
Park park - Grapevine
Meadowmere Park (found it on yelp haven’t actually been) grapevine https://www.yelp.com/biz/meadowmere-park-grapevine?utm_source=ishare&utm_medium=s_nb_ii_g

3 Likes

Mcinnish is pretty close by and has those requirements

http://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-g-p/parks-recreation/parks-trails-and-natural-areas#McInnish Park and Sports Complex

3 Likes

Gussie Field I used to go to as a kid. Here is the list for Farmers Branch that lists the amenities.
http://www.farmersbranch.info/DocumentCenter/View/4616

3 Likes

That’s a good park as well. I used to go there as a kid too. I used to fish in that pond there & watch the trains go by.

1 Like

Trains!? I’m sold!
Do they have BBQ stations?

1 Like

Jimmy Porter in Carrollton would probably work best

Yes they do have grills or so it says.

Looks like dogs are allowed so I would possibly be in for whatever this is :slight_smile:

1 Like

In prior discussions of the Aerospace R/C committee, R/C drone and airplane flying is allowed at McInnish, at least in some parts of the park.

1 Like

Most cities have a web site where you would need to reserve the park at the desired time.

1 Like

Bob Woodruff Park (2601 San Gabriel Dr, Plano, TX - east of 75 between Park and Parker Rds)

Also has playground equipment, paved (half sun) and unpaved (in the woods) walking trails, trees, and a lake.

Not super close to Carrollton, but not far either. I like the “natural surface trails” area on the north/west side of the park. We used to ride our horses through that area when we boarded near there. There are some good BBQ sites in the shade, esp. on the northeast end.

1 Like

Just to let you guys know I’ve run this by @Adam_Oas and he’s all good with it.

Ok guys after doing some research and talking to both Farmers Branch and Carrollton (and I talked specifically about Mcinnish and Gussie Field) I was told for what we are looking for Mary Heads Park is the best choice (http://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-g-p/parks-recreation/facilities/facility-rentals/outdoor-facilities-pools/mary-heads-carter-pavilion)

I’ve asked the BoD to support a picnic/how to setup a picnic class (at least cover the rental price) I’m not sure if it will fly but it would be nice to gather and thank the outgoing board for what they’ve done and create more positive energy to carry us into the next session of growth for DMS. Right now the only day they have free is May 14th

$100 deposit $50 per hour for the pavilion-no corporate (or non-profit) discounts
I estimated we could get a crowd of 75-100 people because families would be included I’ve asked for $400 ($150 of this going towards rental) for basics (hotdogs, hamburgers, charcoal, simple drinks, plates, napkins) everything else we would ask members to supply sides and desserts.

What say you?

4 Likes

We might have a better sell if we use Mcinnish park. Some members have expressed that they would like to learn to fish. Since they have a pond there to fish from, it may be a better fit. If the tables/ pavilion is the issue I can help transport tables. I even have a 20ft canopy, it’s a PITA to put up but I wouldn’t mind. I can even bring my Weber charcoal grills( 26" premium, 18.5" Jumbo Joe, 14" Smokey Joe). Just my opinion I’m fine with any park, my kids will run around any of them.

2 Likes

Fishing sounds like fun, especially if my kids can fish but don’t actually catch any fish. :slight_smile: My schedule is always unpredictable but I’ll try to go. I appreciate the work planning this!

Do we have a party/social committee? We should do these like once a quarter or something.

1 Like

I like the idea of fishing for sure. I think many members would come for that and make a day of it. When I talked to the guy in Carrollton he told me “it was a great sports complex but not 100% for picnic type stuff” he was the one who suggested I look at the other place. But fishing is a great idea. I looked at further away parks but I felt closer to the space would dare more people.

But - honestly, I’m totally up for anything - I haven’t visited either place soooooooo

1 Like

My kids do enjoy fishing, I’m not much of a fisherman myself as before my kids fished it was about 15-20 years since I fished. My oldest Sunday night asked for a fishing license, he is 13 so he actually doesn’t need it.

I think the Aerospace R/C committee would be in favor of McInnish if they knew about this. @Team_Aerospace

He is right, it is a large complex for mainly sports but best I remember there is a playground. It is a big park. I remember even flying kites there when I was a kid.

Did it have a big pavilion and grills for approx 100 people? That would be the #1 concern.

PS I’ve started a new thread about this: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/this-is-the-thread-that-we-talk-about-dms-picnic/19844