Getting to the train at night

I’ve talked myself into getting a folding moped. I live 3 miles from the train station, so it’ll be useful for that.

1 Like

Gas powered vehicles are not allowed on DART buses or trains.

Large mopeds/scooters (even electric) are not allowed on DART buses or trains.

If you want to use the train you need a pedal powered or electric powered bicycle.

1 Like

When I first started using my electric bicycle on DART about 3 yrs ago, I had some push back from some of the DART cops about the motor on it. At that time no “motorized” vehicles except for electric wheelchairs were allowed on DART. I got special permission from DART after I showed them my bike, and DART soon changed the rule to no “gas powered” vehicles on the trains/buses.

3 Likes

I’m going with one of these. I am familliar with its type, I had an A bike a long time ago. xb-20LI
http://www.scootercatalog.com/folding-electric-bike-300-watt-motor.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=78813376151

2 Likes

That will be fine on the train, but won’t fit in the racks at the front of buses… you will need to fold it an carry it on buses.

There are other options, too:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/who-wants-to-try-an-electric-unicycle/2095

Just sayin… =P

Alternatively, one could ask for a ride to the station or your ultimate destination. Pretty good odds that you don’t get abducted.

The only “problem” hill is the short hill at the train track on Valwood, it is fairly steep and some riders may need to walk their bike up it

That slope would be a challenge for this flatlander on a road bike. MTB I might make it although I suspect I’d be gasping for air at the top.

I’d be willing to give rides to the train station if I’m there.

I may need your assistance to prevent any complications from the train police.
I’ve ordered (maybe if it completes, its back ordered everyplace Ive tried) the folding bike. I dont expect it will be a problem, but I saw the police kick off a few DJ’s who had their gear in shopping carts of all things, I don’t want them thinking its something like that.
Ive got an idea of putting the thing in a zipper bag with casters and making it look like luggage, it would also give it some rain endurance… but thats after I get it.

It is pretty obviously a bicycle, and DART is encouraging bicycle use on the buses and trains. I don’t think you will have any problems.

http://www.dart.org/riding/bike.asp

Along these lines, I have a currie Ezip steel moped.
Its such a beast, Ive not used it in 2 years, and Ive had it 2 years before that. the one with the saddle bag lead acid batteries. the batteries have long gone, but the bike is in fine shape. in a shed.

Anyone want it?
the batteries, between the two I have, is 3 miles, they have long past their best used by, those are about $100 each.
I wouldn’t suggest it as a first moped.
Its a big heavy thing. I dont know the model, it was about $500 at the time, ‘mens’ maybe 6 speed. bought from walmart.

Bring it to the space, and I’ll work on it. I’m sure it can find a good home. I think Tanners has some AGM cells that will work in it.

I’ve put 40 miles on it in 2 days, and its already thrown me once. its not quite broken in, but it certainly is good enough. I try it this Thursday, assuming its not pouring rain.

biking to the makerspace… from rowlett… i could get use to that (this is a simplification, its bike, train, train, bike, makerspace, bike, train, train, bike)
But if I don’t have to spend money on toll and gas (train fare) , hours in traffic (hours on train) or risk running into someone driving (being run over on a bike) … it may be better… It is, at least, new. … sometimes that is enough.

1 Like

I am concerned that someone (like me) might not see you when coming over that steep hill by the railroad tracks.

does anyone have suggestions on ‘no flat’ methods?
I am thinking of using slime, which I have a bottle more than enough to fill both tires.

Is there a better approach? Ive seen pictures of people filling the tires with rubber resin, but the tires are intended to be 40 PSI and to do that I’m not sure it would be.

Ken,

Thanks so much for bringing the bike and scooter by. Heather is going to make a donation to the space and take the scooter. Tanners has some 12v7Ah batteries that can get her running, and she is going to order a replacement tube.

I’m almost done grafting a 60Ah lithium pack to the red and black bike. That should give it a 30-40 mile range.

The only two comfortable methods of running “no flat” is Slime in your tube or purchasing special honeycomb type no-flat tires. The rubber resin is heavy and gives a very hard ride.

Rather than ‘no-flat’ tires, you may want to consider carry an extra inner tube, tools to change inner tube and a small bicycle tire pump. It does not take up much space and can enable you to get going again within one half hour. Your bicycle will also need the quick release nuts.

Quick release nuts wouldn’t be practical, as the motor is on the front wheel. I will probably just go with the slime.

Of the 3 chargers, I’m not sure how many work. I think only 1 might.

I’m glad the old bike is no worse for sitting on an exercise idler for the most of my having it.

I think that scooter had about a 4 mile range on a good set of batteries, its too bad about the front tire; as the batteries had also gone, I would have replaced the whole scooter as to repair it, it was a $100 model from wallmart.

Ken, all three chargers spit out proper voltage. I haven’t tested them under load yet.

1 Like

I use Slime in my tubes. It works OK, though it isn’t perfect. I still need to pump my tires now and then, and sometimes the product clogs the tire valves and makes my air pump work harder filling it. It helps that I have a stem coring tool so I can clean out the valve stem.

1 Like